Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

How far back does a drug test taken by blood go back for things

Customer Question

How far back does a drug test taken by blood go back for things such as opiates? I only as b/c of a pre-employment testing and about a week ago I took a percocet from an old script from a sinus surgery and I'm worries they will find it and I may not still have the bottle
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
You need not worry about this, you are quite safe.

Percocet contains Oxycodone (and Acetaminophen which is not significant). Oxycodone is detected in the urine from 2-5 days, two if not taXXXXX XXXXX sometimes up to 5 if taken regularly.In your case, it will not be more than 2-3 days.

Besides this, not all employers test for Oxycodone, which is not part of the 5 panel standard drug test.

Also, if you have a script which allows for refills, you can produce it when the employers ask for verification, which they would if Oxycodone was detected. But as I said, it is not likely at all that Oxycodone will be detected for you.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I do know how long it remains in the urine though. But the employer emphasized "blood testing". And producing the script in the first place may be difficult since that doctor has since retired
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Disregard unless it does show up beyond the 5 days in the blood. I just found out that blood testing is more of an "instantaneous" assessment.
Blood tests will detect Oxycodone for 1-2 days.