Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

I have had hot red swollen toes (middle ones) for the past

I have had hot red swollen toes (middle ones) for the past week and it acts up at bedtime. Keeps me awake. Help! Is it too much purine in my diet, like a high protein diet, similar to gout, or is this gout? I'm 63, female.
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:
Is there any pain in joints or toes?
Is there any numbness or tingling sensation in joints?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
painful because it feels inflammed and hot and swollen, can't sleep, its 2:00 am. Not joint pain. no numbness or tingling. But have had hot feet and hands for lot of my life. Have to wear open toe shoes, even in cold weather.

Thanks for the info given.

Yes, there is great possibility that the symptoms you are having is due to gout.Increased concentrations of uric acid can cause crystals to form in the joints, which leads to the joint inflammation and pain characteristic of gout. The most reliable test for gout is finding uric acid crystals in a sample of the joint fluid obtained by joint aspiration (arthrocentesis). The symptoms you are having is most likely due to gout. Confirmation will be done after the lab report.

The treatment of gout includes:pain relievers such as acetaminophen/Tylenol or other more potent analgesics,anti-inflammatory agents such as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), colchicine, and corticosteroids are used to decrease joint inflammation,medications to decrease uric acid blood levels like probenecid (benemid) and sulfinpyrazone (anturane).

So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for the tests to confirm the diagnosis & the prescription medications accordingly. Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day to reduce the swelling & pain. It is available as OTC without prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dr.David on 2/1/2011 at 7:14 AM EST