Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Have cramping before bowel movements in the lower abdominal

Have cramping before bowel movements in the lower abdominal area and some constipation. Should I start on a fiber supplement?

DocPhil213 :

Hello. I am sorry you are having this problem. It sounds as if you might have irritable bowel syndrome. Patients often have abdominal pain relieved with BMs. However, I would also urge you to make sure that there isn't something else going on like inflammatory bowel disease. You should be checked out and make sure that your colonoscopy is up to date. I would recommend, however, that you increase you water and fiber intake. This can be accomplished with a simple supplement. Even if this resolves your problem (which it very well may), I would still urge you to see your doctor in the relatively near future and make sure nothing else is wrong. Hope this helps! PK

Customer :

My colonoscopy exams are up to date, however, I agree with your advise.

Customer :

This all started when I started following a vegan diet, no animal products or oils of any kind. I was not drinking enough water. Des this make sense to you?

Customer :

Would like to know your specialty. Are you an MD? Thank you.

DocPhil213 :

Yes. You can look at my profile for full info on me. I am an MD, U.S. trained in an academic institution. Yes, this all makes sense to me. While vegan diets can be good in some cases, I have heard this complaint before. Try the supplement and increased H20 intake. I believe you will feel a lot better. I'm glad to hear colonoscopy is up to date. That makes me feel better about this diagnosis. Hope you feel better! PK.

DocPhil213 :

Oops forgot to answer your other question. Board certified internal medicine.