Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

when a Dr. tells you that your kidneys are borderline, what

Customer Question

when a Dr. tells you that your kidneys are borderline, what does that mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 5 years ago.

DocPhil213 :

Hello. I am sorry that you are having this problem and your doctor didn't explain it to you. Basically, I know what that means because I have said it before. Kidney function is measure by two things usually. These are serum creatinine and the other is GFR. Basically, these measure how well your kidneys are functioning. There is a "normal" range for both. The higher your serum creatinine gets, the worse that is and the lower the GFR gets, the worse that is. I am not sure which one he/she is using. Basically, "borderline" means that your kidney function is getting to the point where you are on the border of being considered normal. Usually, for a male, the borderline or normal kidney function is a creatinine of 1.3 and the normal GFR cutoff for non African American is 60. So, it may be that your creatinine is 1.3 and you are approaching having "abnormal" kidney function. Or it might be that your GFR is like 62 for example and you are approaching "abnormal" kidney function. My recommendations would be to have it rechecked to confirm you are borderline (sometimes GFR and creatinine can vary and if you are abnormal to get hooked up with a kidney specialist early in the course of the disease. This will help not only determine what is causing your abnormal kidney function but it will assure that it is followed closely. Hope this helps!

DocPhil213 :

If you have any further ? don't hesitate to ask. PK.

Customer :

His primary Dr. is contacting a Urologist? He goes through the V.A. I am woundering if I should call a Urologist outside or maybe a Nephrologest. I know both are spelled wrong hope you understand

DocPhil213 :

No worries on the spelling. A lot of medical terms are tough. I would recommend you see both. If he is having you see a urologist then he must think its related to the urinary tract (something structural), but abnormal kidney function should always prompt a visit to a kidney specialist.

Customer :

thank-you

DocPhil213 :

Oh, just noticed you said "his". You must be asking for someone else. Well, I definitely think he should see urologist and kidney doctor. Definitely helps to get it looked at early. You are welcome. Take care. PK