Dr. Shahzad MD
Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCPS.
28323552

i am a 50 year old female with these symptoms. fogginess, memory

i am a 50 year old female with these symptoms. fogginess, memory problem, tingling in face, itchy head, itchy left palm,feet hurt, hands hurt, cant focus, cant sleep. could this be lyme disease?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hi there

Dr. Shahzad MD :

since how long are you having these symptoms?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been to any doctor or had any tests done for this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome to justanswer chat

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am looking forward to your reply

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are you with me?

Customer :

did you get my answer?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do have an answer ready for you

Dr. Shahzad MD :

however I would like that you answer a few of my questions

Dr. Shahzad MD :

before I can give you a definitive answer.

Customer :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

12:23 AM

12:23 AM

Customer :

diovan for blood pressure and allegra 180 for allergies

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Customer :

about two months

Dr. Shahzad MD :

how are your periods?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

do you still have regular periods?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

or are you in menopause?

Customer :

no. i went all last year without one so i am in menapause. i use bioidentical hormone cream and had bloodwork done to tweak hormones

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

well, with the symptoms that you are mentioning

Dr. Shahzad MD :

these are all symptoms that you can have after menopause.... i.e. tingling sensations, hurting hands and feet, inability to sleep well, inability to focus or concentrate

Dr. Shahzad MD :

even fogginess

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and memory problems

Dr. Shahzad MD :

all these symptoms can happen after menopause

Dr. Shahzad MD :

http://www.project-aware.org/Experience/symptoms.shtml
here is a weblink which gives a list of a few symptoms that you can experience after menopause

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so I am of the opinion that these symptoms are NOT related to lymes disease

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and are related to your menopause considering your age...

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The other possibility that I would like to rule out in ladies of your age would be hypothyroidism

Dr. Shahzad MD :

which is decreased functioning thyroid

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and for that you would have to have a thyroid function test done (if you have not had that done already)

Customer :

but why all of a sudden all these symptoms at once

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You just had your menopause recently

Dr. Shahzad MD :

which is why I think these symptoms appeared... there is some store of hormones present in the fat of the body which takes some time to be depleted

Dr. Shahzad MD :

which is why you are having these symptoms sometime after your periods stopped

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I am pretty certain, that with your history and your symptoms, considering your age... menopause is the first explanation of your symptoms

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and is pretty much the only thing that can explain ALL your symptoms

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are you with me?

Customer :

yes. are there certain times of day to take this test

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You mean the thyroid test?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

or the test for menopause?

Customer :

yes. and do you not eat or drink to take test. i just heard in the past you may not get accurate results

Dr. Shahzad MD :

there are no specific requirements for this test

Dr. Shahzad MD :

you can go anytime and have this test done

Dr. Shahzad MD :

no specific days and no specific precautions

Customer :

also i am wondering if high anxiety could be cause by any of this

Dr. Shahzad MD :

high anxiety could be a cause of these symptoms I do agree but if you just had menopause like you mentioned and all these symptoms started after menopause, and you have not had such symptoms previously I would keep menopause as the top possibility and consider anxiety lower down the list

Customer :

i went off lexepro cold turkey due to still feeling depressed and having anxiety not wanting to take pharmisuticals if not 100 percent helping me

Customer :

i have had anxiety problems for a few years combined with closeiphobia increased panic feelings. cant do what i in past had no problem with

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand, anxiety could be one thing to be considered here

Dr. Shahzad MD :

three things:
Menopause
Thyroid problem
Anxiety
all three are possible causes that need to be considered in your case

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would not consider lymes disease in this list

Customer :

i feel that hormones have more links to anxiety then what is being written out there. i have learned alot from reading suzanne sommer books with cutting edge doctor

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I totally agree with you... In any case... these above three possibilities are the ones that need to be considered in your case

Customer :

should i find another antidepression pill that may help me with anxiety? or supplements?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

that is one option that can be considered in your case.. another option is that if your symptoms are related to menopause a trial of estrogen replacement therapy should also be considered

Dr. Shahzad MD :

if thyroid function tests are abnormal and you are diagnosed to have hypothyroidism then thyroid hormone replacement needs to be considered

Dr. Shahzad MD :

if both these conditions are ruled out then the option of antidepressants is always on at the end

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would keep the option of antidepressants at the end

Dr. Shahzad MD :

after ruling out other things

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are you with me?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

do you have any further questions for me?

Customer :

no. thanks so much

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hope you get well soon
You are most welcome
Please do click the accept button in the end
A bonus would also be appreciated

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

please click the accept button to end chat so that I get credit.
Thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCPS.