Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

why does lemon juice burn my throat. my throat is red and has

why does lemon juice burn my throat. my throat is red and has streaks and one spot that burns when i gargle lemon juice
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 6 years ago.

I am an ENT specialist.

Lemon juice can cause burning sensation when you have a throat infection.

A throat infection such as acute pharyngitis can leave the surface raw, and this causes burning because of the acidity of the lemon juice.

You should show your doctor for this, you are likely to need antibiotics for this. Prescription antibiotics will be able to cure this sore throat.

Till then, you can use an OTC antiseptic gurgle like Hydrogen Peroxide gurgle which will help to curb the infection.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if there was no infection the lemon juice wouldnt burn then. and will the hydrogen peroxide cure it or will i need to get the antibiotics
Yes, without any infection the lemon juice wouldnt burn it.

You can try with the Hydrogen peroxide, if the infection is only viral which is common, or a mild bacterial infection, this alone should cure it.

However, if it persists beyond three days, or gets more severe, then you need to show the doctor.