Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I began noticing a stitch pain in my left hip just above the hip bone whi

I began noticing a "stitch" pain in my left hip just above the hip bone while lying down. Last night after dancing, the pain was much sharper and is worse when going up steps. It is similar to the pain I felt when I had appentidicitis except for location. When I move so the muscle over the hip moves, I feel the pain. I would think it may be kidney related, but the pain is definitely on the side, on top of my hip bone.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Abid :

Hi

Dr. Abid :

Welcome to justanswer.com

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me do you have backache?

Dr. Abid :

Walking aggravate pain or not?

Dr. Abid :

Pain radiates down to leg or not?

Customer :

no... only this pain that feels like an exercise pain; however I haven't done any exercise in that area.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Customer :

No it does not radiate to the leg; although after the dancing last night it is radiating into my buttock.

Customer :

It feels llike a tight muscle over the top of the hip bone -- totally on the side, neither front , nor back. I was thinking inflammed kidney, but it is not on the back at all.

Dr. Abid :

Any local pressure over pain area aggravate pain or not?

Customer :

It is not sensitive to touch

Customer :

Through touch, I can identify the nucleus of the pain.

Dr. Abid :

Any history of burning sensation in urine?

Customer :

Only once many years ago -- no burning now.

Customer :

It feels like something is internally is inflammed and swollen and thus the pain as the muscle moves over the swollen whatever.

Customer :

My concern is whether it needs immediate attention or just wait and see if it resolves itself. It feels very much like the appendicitis which, of course, needed immediate attention. Obiviously not appendicitis, since it was taken out and it's on the left side.

Dr. Abid :

Ok thanks for info as your problem started after attending a dancing party and you have no history of backache ,radiation of pain down to leg or any history of burning in urine ,you have localised pain in hip area and lying down can aggravate pain keeping all these facts in mind it seems that you have muscle stretch that is the reason of pain ,it is not kidney pain ,nor seems to be nerve pain so i will suggest you to please start Tab Naproxen Sodium 220 mg two tablets twice a day for 5 days ,muscle stretch take sometime to heal ,and dont worry you will improve soon ,give rest to area,avoid stretching and dancing till you fully recovers.And it is not appendicitis.

Customer :

It doesn't feel like a referred pain either, very locallized to the top of the hip. More noticeable when I do a crunch or other movement.

Dr. Abid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS(R)