Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

Hi I just had a blood test done my Eos (Absolute ) is 0.5

Customer Question

Hi I just had a blood test done my Eos (Absolute ) is 0.5 High .I would like to know what the percent is .
Than you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Dear Jacustomer,

Percent here means out of total white blood count how much percentage is eosinophils present in your blood( The blood differential test measures the percentage of each type of white blood cell (WBC) that you have in your blood),as white blood count also has neutrophils,lymphocytes,monocytes too,so we calculate it in percentage.
Raised eosinophil count is seen in parasitic infections,adrenal and endocrine disorders,allergies and malignancy,so you can discuss this with your physician.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi I want to know if this 0.5 is a 10% or less than I would feel its asthma or infection if its higher I feel its more serious
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Can you mention me the unit by which your eosinophil count is measured by your lab?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is x10E3/ul
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,that is less than 10%,so there is no need to press any panic button to my opinion.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So in your opinion is it asthma or an infection not something more serious like lupus
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 years ago.
That requires other tests like ana,esr as a screening test to rule out lupus.
Lupus would have presented with rash,joint pains ,low grade fevers,so you should discuss this with your physician.
Asthma or allergies are more common cause of elevated eosionophils ,so to my opinion these possibilities are more likely.

Thanks