Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

Is it normal to get large prurple bruises with taking Effient.

Is it normal to get large prurple bruises with taking Effient. I have a stent and take it to avoid blood clots. I also have SLE, but no one seems to know what is causing this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Abid :

Hi

Dr. Abid :

Welcome to justanswer.com

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me since how long you have SLE?

Dr. Abid :

Do you have your blood complete picture to see platelets count?

Dr. Abid :

Any history of bleeding from any site?

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-sapclui0- :

Ihave had sle for about 10 years and have been thru taking all the medicines.I don't have it right with me but dr. says it is normal. No bleeding Thanks

Dr. Abid :

Ok and since how long you are on Effient?

JACUSTOMER-sapclui0- :

Only since November after having stent placed in coronary artery. I had a 99% blockage.

Dr. Abid :

Ok please tell me do you have generalised bruise or localised to speicific area?

JACUSTOMER-sapclui0- :

No specific areas. They show up in different places. They are quite large and can hurt quite a lot.

Dr. Abid :

Ok thanks for info regarding your concern i want to share with you that definetly Effinet can be the reason of bruise as it inhibits platelets function so i will suggest you to get your BT test (bleeding time) to see the functions of platelets ,and once please consult Cardilogist ,you have normal CP as you mentioned so SLE induced thrombocytopenia is highly unlikely ,so please get test and proceed further.One thing more as you mentioned that purple bruises are over different reigons and also painful you may need to rule out the possibilty of SLE induced vasculitis (inflamation of blood vessel) regarding that you may need to once consult Rheumatologist.

Dr. Abid :

Regards,if you found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.