Experience:  dasdasd

Got a burning sensation on the inside of my knee-approx down

Got a burning sensation on the inside of my knee-approx down the side and slighly to the left of my kneecap-it gets bad when I run(worse going downhill-actaully running uphill I feel the pain eases) I have had this for over a year and have tried rest but to no avail-some times when I get up in the morning it can be very noticable other mornings it can be fine-I find it can now get pain in my hip and the muscles along the upper inside of my leg seem to very easily cramp-I also feel a tightness in my calf muscle
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
No problem with the length of the question, but has a doctor examined you and run tests?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Does the knee hurt to fully bend it, and is there any locking or cracking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes a bit tight along the back of the knee but not unbearably sore and not sore at all where the pain is felt that I described in my question-but it almost cramps(back of upper leg) when I straighten it out- there is no locking or cracking that I can hear
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, so far as the knee goes, from your description, you may have a chronic bursitis condition. Of course, it could be a meniscal tear or tendonitis, but the only way to be sure would be with an MRI. The hip and upper leg problem could be from favoring the knee, but I'd at least get an x-ray of the hip, too.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Other questions--I noticed you didn't accept my answer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes-being that I am not medically trained can you please explain how I could differentiate between each of the three conditions you mentioned and what could i do to address these issues
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, of course, the physical exam is important, and that part is denied to me here. If on exam I thought this was bursitis, I'd offer a cortisone injection, and, if that helped nearly completely, we'd have a presumptive diagnosis. Same for tendonitis. A meniscal tear isn't likely here, but even with a physical exam that strongly suggested the tear, the only way to be sure would be the MRI. I only think of the MRI because this has been a problem for you for so long--bursitis and tendonitis usually resolve with rest.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry to be a pest but one last Q -if I just walk and dont run it is OK -but when I run even after a long rest(weeks) it returns and is noticable almost immediately-Finally thank you for your time and expertise
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
That's another interesting part. Obviously running puts more stress on the knee, so a bursitis or tendonitis could be exacerbated by that. Less likely to be seen with a meniscal tear. One thing about the knee--it's got relatively simple architecture--bones, cartilage, ligaments, bursae,tendons, and synovial fluid. Pain in the knee can only be from a problem with one or a combination of those.