Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I was diagnosed with a staph infection in my elbow about a

I was diagnosed with a staph infection in my elbow about a year . I was given some antibiotics and the swelling and pain went away in about 2 weeks.
I have recently been having pain (3-4 weeks now) in my elbow and it hurts to shake hands and grab things This is pretty consistent pain and dissipates during the day but does not go away.
The past 4 nights I have been awoken about 3am (for 3 hours) with serious discomfort in my elbow. Tonight was the first night it has moved into my shoulder. I fear I have an infection that is now spreading and affecting others part of my body such as, perhaps my heart. This may be psycho somatic as I feel tinges in my chest??. However, this elbow pain is constant and lessens during the day. I believe I have tendinitis or perhaps some Rhuematoid Athritis.
It is Sunday morning and I am considering going to the emergency room to get it looked at and ex rayed. If not, I will be calling my general Monday morning for a referral on how to proceed..
I have not been this concerned with my health ever. If you have any ideas of what it might be to ease my mind and allow me to get some sleep it would be appreciated.
Best,
Elbow aching Dan
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer...

Dr. Sohaib :

Sorry to hear about your problem...

Customer :

So that's it... sorry to hear about your problem???

Customer :

Do you give any other input or answer to my question??

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you have any concurrent medical illness like diabetes, hypertension or heart disease?

Dr. Sohaib :

Any medication that you take on regular basis?

Customer :

No. no other illnesses and no medication at all.

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you have swelling currently in the elbow?

Customer :

No, it is an internal pain, no swelling but tender to the touch.

Dr. Sohaib :

Fever?

Customer :

no

Dr. Sohaib :

Involvement of any other joint of the body?

Customer :

no, except it feels like my shoulder is being affected mildly.

Dr. Sohaib :

Allright...

Dr. Sohaib :

Well, this does not appear to be something very serious that is life threatening...

Dr. Sohaib :

This could be an arthritis, synovitis or bursitis of the affected joint...

Dr. Sohaib :

Moreover, there is a remote possibility of Rheumatoid arthritis as well, so having X-ray of the joint done, including some blood tests like RA factor, Anti CCP will be helpful in order to ascertain the exact underlying diagnosis for this...

Dr. Sohaib :

In the absence of joint swelling and other constitutional symptoms like fever, its unlikely that it is of infectious etiology...

Dr. Sohaib :

You can take Tylenol or Motrin for the pain relief, and get a consultation with your doctor for a comprehensive clinical examination, which will direct further tests and subsequent management strategy...

Customer :

My feeling is Burcitis. and likely not life threatening. You recommend an X-ray to diagnose for sure and then certain medicine is perscribed, correct?

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes that is how it is treated...

Dr. Sohaib :

So you should not worry or panic...

Dr. Sohaib :

Stay relaxed as a very good treatment is available for this...

Dr. Sohaib :

Right noe, tylenol or Motrin would help you in relieving the pain...

Customer :

Yes, I think you're right. RIght noe, what is that?

Dr. Sohaib :

Right Now...Sorry for the spelling mistake...

Customer :

My general practinioner has to app

Customer :

approve the x ray, correct? Or can I just schedule that?

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes you need to see your GP first, have a detailed examination, and definitely he is going to order the X-ray for evaluation...

Customer :

Ok. I will do that asap and hope I can get back to sleeping.
One last question... If I sleep wrong on this elbow, could this be what causes the irratation to this elbow?

Dr. Sohaib :

Unlikely...As your shoulder is also involved...

Dr. Sohaib :

So it is not the postural pressure which is causing this..

Customer :

Oh, and can untreated burcitis or Rhumatoid Athritis lead to serious illnesses?

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes, untreated, any disease has poor outcomes associated with complications...

Dr. Sohaib :

So getting an evaluation in order to ascertain the diagnosis will be right thing to proceed further, which will direct an early intervention in terms of a management plan, so as to avoid any complication...

Customer :

Typically, it is a daily oral medicine till it disapaites?

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes it is managed by oral medications...

Customer :

Th

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this answers your question...

Customer :

Thanks.

Dr. Sohaib :

Kindest Regards...

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities