911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

My dauughter has strep throat and black spots on her throat.

My daughter has strep throat and today noticed black spots on her tonsils? What can this be? Is it serious?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 6 years ago.

911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

Has she been diagnosed with strep or are you calling it that based on her symptoms? If she has been diagnosed is she on antibiotics?

Customer :

Has not gone to a doctor, I called because of her symptoms.

911DOC :

We don't know if it's strep or not...

If it is, she will likely do fine but it is important to get antibiotics for her, not because of the strep but because of heart valve problems that can rarely occur from untreated strep throat... And it is impossible to say what the black spots on her tonsils are without me looking at them or swabbing them for a culture...

How old is she?

Customer :

43

911DOC :

The spots or 'exudates' in strep are typically whitish or yellowish... Black stuff anywhere on the body either means dried or partially digested blood or necrosis, death of tissue... Either of which is reason alone to get her seen by a provider.

Does she smoke or is she diabetic?

Customer :

She has whitish an yellowish spots, as well. Yes, she smokes. No she is not diabetic.

911DOC :

Sure sounds like strep... But again, this is a guess, and the standard treatment for strep is antibiotics to prevent the bad things that come after sometime...

The other reason to treat is the prevention of a perisonsillar abscess, which would require surgery, at least minor surgery, to fix.... There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but it will not shorten her illness, and will not prevent bad complications if she is susceptible...

Customer :

Can this wait until tomorrow for her to see a doctor?

911DOC :

Sure, if she is able to swallow without difficulty. And keep her hydration up...

Tylenol or motrin would be fine in the meantime... And as long as she is drinking enough to need to urinate every few hours she should be fine till tomorrow...

If she gets to the point of drooling or saying that it's really hard to swallow or she cannot open her mouth fully then it's time to go right away....

good luck to you and her,

Customer :

OK. Thanks for your time and assistance.

911DOC :

You are very welcome..