Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

swelling on the left side above my collar bone

i had a very bad cold and now i have swelling on the left side above my collar bone. Is this normal?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Does this feel like a swollen pea?
Is it just above the collarbone or more in the neck area?
Were you coughing? Did you have fever? Night sweats? Weight loss?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It actually doesn't feel like a swollen pea, I work out a lot and it actually feels like a muscle when it is tight, but not quite that hard. It's actually swollen between my neck and my collar bone; more so on the left than right. The right has a little swelling, but not as much. The cold I had started as a slight sore throat then I actually was hoarse and did cough some. I had a low fever for like two days, no night sweats or weight loss.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

What you may be feeling is a muscle strain from coughing or soft tissue swelling from swollen glands. These lymph nodes to not enlarge, however, from a typical cold.

If it is in the front of the neck or just to the side, it could be an enlarged thyroid.

I would have your doctor take a look if it does not resolve in a day or so.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not on the front of my neck it's just to the side above the collar bone. It's more like a swelling.... actually more of a puffiness.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Then it is unlikely to be your thyroid and more likely to be some type of soft tissue swelling.

It may be due to coughing or deep glands that are swollen.

Again, it is not a typical sequelae of a cold. If it persists for a day or two, I would have your doctor look at it.

Dr Abby