Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have a throbbing sensation behind left ear, comes and goes,

I have a throbbing sensation behind left ear, comes and goes, sensation spreads on left side, at times?

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Now we are in Q/A format, use reply option for communication.

How long are you having these symptoms? Any ear discomfort, pain or discharge? Do you have any ongoing head and neck infection? Do you get pain when you press behind you left ear? Any vision problem, headache, confusion, neck stiffness?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Some neck stiffness, vision fuzzy in the morning, no ear pain or discomfort or discharge, the sensation is located up my neck,back of head,between left ear (but away from the ear) more under the scalp and the center of the back of my head. It's not a pain but tight, stiff feeling that sometimes will throb and then subsides
Thank you for the information. Based on your description, you don't seem to have any active ear problem rather it looks like a neurogenic pain/sensation. You can have x ray/MRI to pin point the cause so that it can be treated effectively. Some other possibilities are mastoiditis, temporal arteritis, scalp localized infection. Overall my support goes with neurogenic pain. Since you also have a vision issue it will be a wise decision to have a routine check up for your current symptom. In the mean time you can take oral pain meds and use heating pad for symptomatic relief.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.