DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My second right toe goes numb from time to time. I run about

My second right toe goes numb from time to time. I run about 20k a week and stairclimb (moving escalator, not a stepper!) 10k a week. I have poor circulation and am usually cold. Recently, the ball of my right foot also goes numb whilst I am running). Should I be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Although this could be circulation it could also be a morton's neuroma, being in this location, or simply nerve compression from shoes that are not optimal, given the running.
There is also a condition called tarsal tunnel syndrome that compresses the nerve much like carpal tunnel syndrome.

first I would see a podiatrist or orthopedic foot specialist, probably have an MRI which would show a neuroma or nerve compression, then initial treatment will most likely be an adjustment to the shoes themselves.
also unfortunately rest and perhaps physical therapy
Some cases do need surgery eventually.
Good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have raynaud's. My feet are always cold and my second toe goes numb if my feet are cold. The ball of my foot only goes numb when I am running - it never happens at any other time. My fingertips also tingle when I am particularly cold. Recently, when I have been running my right leg (same leg as numb toe/ball of foot) feels hard to lift, a bit like it is a dead leg from the hip downwards. I have worn the same running shoes for 12 years, I have a natural anterior tilt. If this is from running, I am okay with that as I know what to do to alleviate it but I am concerned for my circulation. I train hard, like a professional athelete but recently my legs have started to feel very very tired. Could I be running to fast (top speed 13kph)?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
You could be running too much or overdoing it.
Circulation is only one possibility, Doppler studies of the legs could show this...an ultrasound so you should have your doctor order this.
you should also have a good neurological examination to make sure sensation, reflexes and strength are OK to rule out problems such as MS.
I would not keep running with out evaluation and without evaluation of the foot, preferably with MRI as a problem that can be corrected can get worse when neglected.

Good luck again

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just one last question, it has been suggested that I have siatica - I have looked it up and apparently it is a common diagnosis for unknown leg pain - from my symptoms is it possible that it could be siatica? If I don't exercise, I don't get the leg pain but I still suffer from the cold and tingly/numb fingertips and right second toe. In the last year, I have knowingly pushed myself when running even though I haven't felt like doing it because I've felt physically tired.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Not exactly sciatic but disc problems in the lower spine could cause such symptoms, but not the weakness generally.
An MRI, once again, but of the lower spine....if indicated by exam...would show disc, nerve root, ligament,etc.

Orthopedist, or physiatrist would be the best docs to see, overall. My preference is the physiatrist.
good luck again