IMDR06
IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician
37530465

I have what feels like a lump under my lower right rib cage.

I have what feels like a lump under my lower right rib cage. It can't be felt by the doctor externally but I can feel it inside. It sometimes feels like it's moving. Mostly I don't feel pain, it just feels like a lump, but i occasionally have very mild pain associated with it. It comes and goes. when it comes it lasts for a few days, anything up to 10 and then it goes again, for up to 3 weeks. it sometimes feels like it's moving (wriggling). It started off more to the centre of my ribcage and now it feels like it is further to the right. I have had blood tests, and an ultrasound both showing nothing. In fact the ultra sound showed that all my organs were in perfect health including my gallbladdler (which is what i thought it was initially).
Category: Medical
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

hi,

the lump you are feeling may be a lipoma, which is a collection of hardened fat and it is very common.

it may also be just an irregularity in the muscle itself.

being the ultrasound did not reveal anything, i doubt it is anything to worry about.

dr. sciberras

IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your answer. I was wondering, do you know what causes a lipoma and if it is this, or a muscle irregularity, do you know why it would come and go?
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.
No one really knows why some people get lipomas and others don't. The feeling that you sometimes have it and sometimes don't is likely positional.

Dr. Sciberras
IMDR06, Board Certified Physician