DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

can nyquil make you fail a alcohol test

Customer Question

can nyquil make you fail a alcohol test
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Nyquil can give false positive for amphetamines, ecstasy, morphine etc but not for Alcohol. It has not been known to cause false positive results for alcohol.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Nyquil does have an alcohol content
Breatalizers are very sensitive and if you had nyquil before one, this could cause a positive.
If your alcohol test was an ETG alcohol test, then enough nyquil would also make you test positive on this. This is a type of urine test that is qualitative and will test positive, very sensitive.
You might check the nyquil product as some reputedly have 25% alcohol
good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello again

Alcohol is used as a solvent in nyquil. It can cause false positive for alcohol, if ingested in large amounts . Also you can claim the results to be false positive if you have the prescription or even without it. The other contents of the medicine can be checked in your blood that can prove that nyquil has caused this drug test to occur.

Please click accept ,so that I get paid for my time and effort for you. This would encourage me to keep helping people like you.

Best regards
Dr. Sam
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.

Hello again
I am glad the expert has agreed with my second opinion, in that nyquil might test positive for alcohol under certain types of testing.
At this point we do not know what type of alcohol test you are talking about.
If you respond I will help you with specifics.
A positive alcohol test would not be negated by finding nyquil components in your system if you were still high enough in acohol content to be illegal, just as one example.
The results would not be a false positive, because it would be alcohol testing positive for alcohol.

Yes, nyguil can make you fail an alcohol test.

Let me know if you have further questions

Please accept if satisfied