Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

seven years ago i went into a coma for 3 days, my Dr. told

seven years ago i went into a coma for 3 days, my Dr. told me it was viral enchephalitis,it has left me with severe fatigue and severe tinnitus, which i had never experienced previously.
i see now they hope of a cure for tinnitus by way of stimulating the vagus nerve, is it possible that my other ailments- fatigue -loss of appetite are all conected to this same nerve ?
thank you
regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Yes, it is likely that your other symptoms of fatigue and loss of appetite are part of the same underlying cause as the tinnitus. All these symptoms are likely complication from the viral encephalitis causing residual nerve sensitivity changes with resulting tinnitus, and post viral syndrome with fatigue and poor appetite due to reduced body energy molecule generation with persistent body free radical or immune system changes. I suggest that your doctor include a consideration for the post viral complication of chronic fatigue syndrome and/or fibromyalgia. I would suggest that you consider closer evaluation with your doctor for immune system changes and possible deficiencies in certain important body components including levels of ESR, C-reactive protein, Anti-nuclear antibody (ANA), Thyroid function tests, liver function tests, complete metabolic panel, complete blood count with differentials, serum iron, RBC folate, and vitamin B12 levels. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter B-complex vitamins and antioxidants such as those containing glutathione in the reduced form.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon