Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

I have had a respiratory viral infection for the last 3 weeks.

I have had a respiratory viral infection for the last 3 weeks. Coughing a lot and just feel tired and run down and fatigue easily. Up until I came down with this I am a pretty active 68 year old woman: physical workouts, golf, gardening, grandchildren care, and active socially. I did have a blood test last August when I had a physical and my lymphocytes and monocytes showed up as abnormal. Lymphocytes were 22 L % (normal 25-45). Monocytes were 15 H % (normal 4-8). Is this a concern for the way I'm feeling now and could this be the reason I don't seem to be able to get rid of this infection?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 3 years ago.

Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer

Dr Wajid :

No the blood tests that you mentioned have nothing to do with your current illness

Dr Wajid :

I say this because of the fact that the report that you mentioned was of last August

Dr Wajid :

To co relate a blood test with an illness it must be a recent one

Dr Wajid :

Also nothing in the results was abnormal to the extent that we could label you as immunocompromised

Dr Wajid :

So just relax

Dr Wajid :

Keep taking hot fluids

Dr Wajid :

Keep yourself warm

Dr Wajid :

And if viral the infection will settle itself soon

Dr Wajid :

I hope this answers your question

Dr Wajid :

Let me know if you have any further questions

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer :

If I'm not feeling much better by Monday, Jan. 17th, do you think I should see a doctor and maybe have some more blood work done since by then it will be over 3 weeks that I have been dealing with this. The coughing I can put up with; that mostly in the morning and at night. It's the constant feeling of being tired and fatigued that is bothering/worrying me the most.

Dr Wajid :

Yes that would be a reasonable thing to do

Dr Wajid :

Get to your doctor to get the blood works repeated

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Customer :

Is it normal this year for a respiratory virus to last this long? I've had them a few times in the past and it seems like after about 7 days I would be feeling much better, but no this year.

Dr Wajid :

Well it can be a secondary bacterial infection but since you mentioned taking the Z pack I think that would have been treated

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Dr Wajid :

Do you have any further questions?

Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)