Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

How can i get some-one to prove that I have Tinnitus - after-all

How can i get some-one to prove that I have Tinnitus - after-all i am the onlyone hearing it. I have had an audiogram - and that shows the normal hearing performance across the normal human hearing frequency range. Sure my hearing is a little affected (at 54 years), and this has formaed the basis of an ENT assessment that my hearing is normally a little down due to my age - but nothing about my ringing in the ears or more importantly the "level" of ringing in my ears and therefore the severity of my tinitus.
I have read of the "gap" testing - where those with tinnitus have been tested and at their ringing frequency, the tester stops the noise generated and the patient does not pick this - as the noise generated keeps going (due to neorns or whatever is ringing...).
So - how do i get get such a test in Australia, and is there a test or analysis that d=can detirmine the level of tinnitus severity?

Oh - i have another question - Is it clinically proven that trauma / blow to the head / neck / ear has brought on tinnitus? Mine started with a severe beating from some thugs, but i did not really notice the permananet ringing for about ten days - probably because i had several other injuries to deal with. So this has left some minor doubt in my mind that the tinnitus may not be entirely brought on by trauma (due to the delay and on-set of the ringing). Any commnets on this?

Thanks
XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Tinnitus is often of unknown cause.
The diagnosis is what you hear, Not the audiogram itself.
Who did the audiology?
Simply use reply to respond
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - a local Darwin based "Arafura Audiology".
So have you actually seen an ENT doctor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes - His first consultation was to refer me to Aracura Audiology. Then the ENT consultant / specialist reviewed the results of Audiogrma, and advised that Tinnitus can occure in those in later years (I am 54 yrs). He advised that it is something i have to really learn to live with...

OK
I think you need more work up and should see another TNT
He is correct, but it is damage to the fine hairs in the inner ear that causes the tinnitus in this case, and a specialized hearing aid that supplies a white noise can alleviate the problem in this case.
One has to rule out other causes such as acoustic neuroma, circulation problems in the inner ear, so you need an MRI if there is nothing on audiology.
On occasion problems in the TMJ or temporal bone can cause tinnitus, but this is best addressed by and osteopathy who does manipulation, or OMT, osteopathic manipulative treatment.

Good luck
hope this info helps
let me know if you have further questions

Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - you are saying that i need more analysis - and more to the point, that the analysis so far has been inadequate. And further, that there are solutions - white noise etc. Yes?
Yes correct