Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

My blood pressure was elevated yeaterday. 150/87. Nurse practitioner

My blood pressure was elevated yeaterday. 150/87. Nurse practitioner was not overly concerned. We discussed that I take a large amount of decongestants, most days 3 times a day. She said this could cause elevated bp. I've stopped taking the otc decongestant. How long before my bp should return to normal??
Which decongestant do you use?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is Tylenol Allergy /sinus medication. I have alot of nasal congestion and probably take it 2-3 times a day. I also take a Zyrtec in the am.
Thanks for further information.

Blood pressure should get better in a couple of days if it is elevated only due to decongestant use.

You may continue taking Zyrtec.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would this be a common reason for blood pressure to increase?? I exercise regularly, eat right, don't smoke and socially drink?? What would you expect my BP to return to??

The decongestant which you use contains phenylepeherine which is a vasoconstrictor meaning it constricts the blood vessels.This causes the blood pressure to rise.
One cannot predict what would be your blood pressure but stopping phenylepherine should decrease the blood pressure.