Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

My husbands blood pressure is 176 over 100. He is on blood

My husband's blood pressure is 176 over 100. He is on blood pressure medication. Should he go to the emergency room?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Does he have any sympXXXXX XXXXXke dizziness, chest discomfort, pain?How is his usual blood pressure? When did he take his blood pressure medicine? Which medicine is he taking?

Edited by Dr SS on 1/9/2011 at 4:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No dizziness, chest pain. A little shakiness. His normal blood pressure has been running in the 140/80 range. He took his blood pressure med this morning at 7:00 AM. The doctor recently changed his med to Doxazosin Mesylate 4 mg. The doc changed it to this because she thought the old blood pressure med which was working was causing his cough. It was changed to the new med on 12/27/10 at which time he was taking 1/2 tablet and three days ago started full tablet.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Did doctor advise any water pill or other medicine? When did the shakiness start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No water pill or other medicine. Shakiness started about two hours ago.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

His blood pressure is high but a persistent BP above 180/110 is considered as hypertensive crisis. But when he is having shakiness, I would advise to take him to ER. He needs an evaluation by doctor for an evaluation.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.