Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

what causes a strong heart beat even though BP and pulse are

what causes a strong heart beat even though BP and pulse are normal? I have been on thyroid medication 100 mcg for about a year. I have experienced it before for about a day or so but this is the longest period yet - about 4 days.

Such awareness of a strong heart beat is called palpitation.

It occurs due to the following causes:

Anxiety: Anxiety is the commonest cause of such awareness of heart beats. These anxiety attacks are often accompanied by feelings of breathlessness, warmth in the body, impending doom, etc.

Caffeine: excessive caffeine intake can cause this as your doctor has advised.

Smoking: Nicotine is a known cause of palpitation.

Alcohol: excessive alcohol intake can cause this.

Anemia: low blood hemoglobin levels can lead to palpitation.

Thyroid: high thyroid hormone levels can lead to palpitation. SInce you are taking Thyroxine, you should have your thyroid levels checked.

Heart problems: Finally, some cardiac causes can also lead to palpitation. But in relation to the number of patients who complain of palpitation, the people who have a cardiac cause is proportionately very less.

In your case, anxiety seems the most likely cause. Still, you should consult a doctor and have the following tests done.

Blood Hemoglobin.

Thyroid levels.

If necessary, 24 hour Halter monitoring test.

If your palpitation is very frequent and disturbing, your doctor can prescribe two types of medications: anti-anxiety drugs and Beta Blockers. Discuss this with your doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.