Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

My husband ammonia level is 259 what is the normal level and

My husband ammonia level is 259 what is the normal level and at what level can you go into a coma
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 3 years ago.

Dr Jones :

15–60 mcg/dL is normal range of ammonia in adults. The total soluble ammonia level in a healthy adult with 5 L of circulating blood is only 150 mcg. A level at which individual might land up in coma is variable and differs from individual to individual.

Customer :

how long can a high ammonia level go on

Dr Jones :

It depends on treatment offered and how patient responds to treatment.But long term elevated ammonia levels can be fatal.

Dr Jones :

I mean high levels.Low or marginal raised ammonia levels would have better outcome.

Customer :

It has been going on for over 6 mos. he has cirrhosis , prostate cancer and diabetes he is on insulin. The lactulose causes massive diarrhea are we at the end stage?

Dr Jones :

Normally liver clears ammonia from the system since he has liver cirrhosis the liver is not able to clear the ammonia completely.But if he responds well to treatment and ammonia is effectively removed form to body to the levels that there are no fatal symptoms then this should not be end stage.Prostate cancer can be very well taken care of with multiple treatment options.

Customer :

He is not able to have surgery or cemo he is to weak Dr. says, it would be to dangerous his psa is 30 he also had colon cancer a few yrs ago. He still has diarrhea all the time even not on the lactulose and the ammonia is still high it has never been below 190

Dr Jones :

Cancer of prostate is kind of slow growing cancer and take years before it becomes fatal.And yes the movement surgery is not possible.So I think the present issue is to get down his ammonia levels.Since he has pulled for 6 months we can hope that he will respond to treatment well.Though his health issue are really advanced I think still there is hope and most treatments which he can tolerate should be tried.Though his ammonia levels are raised they seem to be compensated.Hope that answers your questions.Thank you.Take care.

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.