Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

pain in my right foot on the right side below the ankle bone..heel

I am having pain in my right foot on the right side below the ankle bone, down about an inch above the heel. It has gotten a little better since Monday, but it hurts if I walk completely normal on that side. I used the treadmill on Tuesday (power walking/jogging - alternating) and that's when it got more painful. I tried icing it, but it's hard to have ice on that side. I have been taking Extra Strength Tylenol every 4 hours. That seems to help too. It doesn't hurt much if you push in that area. Only if I put full weight on it with a normal walk. It feels better if I wear heals too. Also, less painful if in socks but not in athletic shoes. I've had this happen before and I just took it slow for a week and it was much better, still a little sensitive. Any suggestions?
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Sorry to hear about your problem

Well this can be due to sprain in one of the ligaments of the ankle. It may be an old sprain that may have been aggravated by treadmill run.
You can do the following to ease pain out.
Keep it bandaged
Take a good anti inflammatory like Naproxen or Diclofenac.
A topical NSAID gel would be helpful
DO not put extra strain on the ankle

I would not advise you to kill pain with pain. You must rest so that the issue resolves quickly. If it does not heel quickly , like in a week with above strategy, then your best course would be to visit an orthopedic surgeon who would be able to examine you and make a diagnosis leading to correct treatment.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no obvious swelling at all. No discoloration either. Not sure if a bandage is something that should be put on there? It doesn't hurt if I rotate my foot in the air at all either.

I didn't know that an ankle ligament goes down to the heel area?

Hello again

The ligaments of the ankle run down on sides of the ankle and are attached quite low on the sides , so this can happen.
Also as I have earlier stated that it can be an aggravation of an older sprain , so there may not be any swelling or change of color.
Bandage can help support the ligament when you walk normally , so that the joints are supported.
Also some tendons run down that area as well, so regular erosion of the tendon can also result in pain. The above treatment will also do good for this problem.

Best of luck...Take care.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you again for all your time and answers. It helped alot. Hopefully, by taking your advice to heart, I'll be back on the treadmill in the near future.