Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.
28687509

I had this large bump suddenly appear on the top of my left

I had this large bump suddenly appear on the top of my left foot yesterday. It was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 3/8 of an inch high. It is not sore to the touch, but if I put pressure on it, there is some pressure pain. I massaged it with some MSM cream for overnight. The swelling is down a bit this morning, but the top of the foot is turning blueish-red about 3 inches in diameter around the bump. It is not sore to the touch, but the bump feels harder now. Is this something that I should be concerned about or will it go away over time?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Have you seen a doctor?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Is it growing fast or fixed?

Customer :

No, I have not seen a doctor

Customer :

It has not grown bigger in the last 24 hours.

Customer :

Would you like me to send you a picture?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

did it appear all of a sudden?

Customer :

Yes, it appeared in about 1 hour while at work.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Do you like to do exercise in shoes with tight laces?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Is it hard , or pulsating?

Customer :

No. I exercise every day with a 1 hour walk/run interval for the past 5 years and never had this before. Shoes are proper fitting

Customer :

The lump is hard.. not pulsating

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Bony hard?

Customer :

I can feel the heart beat though

Customer :

pussy hard

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Heart beat through , means it could a lesion in a vessel.

Customer :

foot
Full Size Image

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Or a ganglion and you must see a surgeon to evaluate and asses the problem.Most of the time this could be due to constant irritation by laces or buckle of the shoes , especially in those people who do regular exercise.Another possibility is Exostosis and none of them is serious and can be managed easily.

Customer :

I don't have laces or buckles on my shoes.. I wear slip ons during the day. Only I exercise do I wear laced shoes

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Ok , and do you think it has developed overnight?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

tenderness?

Customer :

the swelling has gone done overnight and it is turning more red-blue.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

how about its borders , they are soft?

Customer :

the borders are soft

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

I think it could be something of vascular origin , like hematoma and you should see your physician immediately.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Any history of trauma?

Customer :

It feels like there is a hard middle to the bump. It is not tender and is painful only when I put on the shoes as the swelling at the top of the foot

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Ok and do you have any other medical condition?or using any medications?

Customer :

No history of trauma. I did wrench my knee the day before, sliding in the snow and it was swollen for a couple of days.

Customer :

I am on tambacor for the heart only

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Ok , it means it could be joint fluid with some blood in it , and both of them are under the joint capsule which has protruded beyond joint space , a type of ankle capsulitis.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

It may need i/d by the surgeon to clear the material.

Customer :

what is i/d?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

incision and drainage.

Customer :

Will the body absorb it on it's own?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Might be , but if there is chronic inflmmation , very difficult

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

You can use braces , keep it elevated and try to avoid wearing tight shoes.

Customer :

how long does this typically last?

Customer :

Just curious, but this is not in the joint. It is on the top of the foot. Could it be some sort of blood clot?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

if there is chronic inflammation it can lasts for months and goes away only if surgically treated , but the trapped blood can cause a permanent lump because of scarring.So better see your doctor.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Yes , as told you it could a clot.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

and a clot resolves sometimes in years.

Customer :

ok.. thanks for the info.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

You are welcome.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Please press ACCEPT if you like my response>

Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience: 18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.