T Khan
T Khan, Doctor
Experience:  UW Med School/UCLA Training/USC Faculty. Full Spectrum Family Medicine - Adult, Peds, OB/GYN
33362630

I slipped and fell on the ice and hit my ribs on a stair on

I slipped and fell on the ice and hit my ribs on a stair on my left side on Christmas eve. I have some brusing where i hit the stair but its my chest on the left side that persists. It feels swollen and clicks when I press on the swollen rib. The pain is not going away after all this time, I would think I should be feeling better by now. I did not go for an xray because the general consenses is that not much can be done for rib injuries. Should I just suck it up and hold off seeking medical attention?

T Khan :

Welcome to JA - sorry you are going through this, let me opine. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a rib fracture and there isn't really much we do for rib fractures. We just treat the pain.

T Khan :

Rib fractures take at least 4 weeks and can take up to 12 weeks to really heal up and minimize the pain.

T Khan :

Even rib brusing takes weeks to months to fully go away.

T Khan :

If the pain is tolerable, you can breathe fine, and your pain regimen is working, there is no need to see a provider.

T Khan :

If the pain is bad then you should be seen to have your pain regimen titrated up to a stronger medicine.

T Khan :

Does this help? If so, please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT button or else I get no credit for my time here. After ACCEPTING, feel free to ask follow up questions and I will be flagged and can return to answer them.

Best of health to you!

JACUSTOMER-hrh50h6k- :

Im concerned about the clicking when I push down on my swollen rib and why is it more affected in my chest when I fell on my left side?

T Khan :

The clicking is likely the callous that has formed around your rib. This is normal and there's nothing we really do fir it other then pain management. The reason it hurts more now is the callous is forming and the inflammation of the healing process often causes a bit more pain.

T Khan :

anything else i can clarify?

T Khan :

Rib fractures/bruises are tough as there really isn't much we can do for them while they heal other then pain management.

JACUSTOMER-hrh50h6k- :

should I ice or heat or alternate

T Khan :

i tell my patient to alternate betwenn the two but ice more than heat. so 2x ice, then 1x heat, and so on.

JACUSTOMER-hrh50h6k- :

thank you for your attention, I am satisfied and will now accept

T Khan :

no problem. best of luck to you.

T Khan :

God bless!

T Khan :

anything else before you click ACCEPT?

JACUSTOMER-hrh50h6k- :

no I'm just trying to print our conversation then i will click accept

T Khan :

i think it's actually easier once you click accept because then it goes to a regular html web page and you can just file>print.

T Khan :

:-)

JACUSTOMER-hrh50h6k- :

thanks