Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

Green stool and green urine

Green stool and green urine
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

How long has this been happening?
Any foul smell related with urine and stool?
Is there any diahhrrea?
Any pain in abdomen?
Any medicine you take regularly for any chronic illness?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you here we go in order

7 days

no foul smell

no diahhrrea

slight pain in right side of abdomen

None

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello again

Sorry to hear about your problem

There are several causes of green stool. Also several causes are known that cause green urine. The common cause that can change color of both is BILE. It is a fluid that is secreted by liver and stored in gall bladder. The color of this fluid changes to yellow as it passes through the gut. If the bile passes through the gut quickly, then it does not change its color and is secreted as a green colored substance. There can be few causes that can cause decrease transit time for bile. These include

Crohns disease
Malabsorption
Ulcerative colitis
IBS
Bacterial overgrowth
Laxative
Medicines etc.

If this symptom of yours is related to the right sided pain you are having in abdomen, then it means that gall bladder is involved or excess bile is being secreted. You should undergo few tests to reach a diagnosis. These include
Stool RE
Blood CP
USG abdomen etc

Your best course would be to visit doctor preferably a gastro enterologist who could examine you and have a look at the tests to reach a diagnosis.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Previuosly in my life I had been diagnosed a Discinesia of bile ducts but this has never cuased me any obvious problems thus I did not undertake any measures to further treat it.

Can this be a reason?

I feel very weak and a bit shaky. Had to stay in bed yesterday.

Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello again

It can be an after affect of biliary dyskinesia. This is because , bile is not secreted in enough amount in this disease and then can release in large amounts after wards when it gathers there. So this can be a probability .

As I already said that your best course would be to visit a gastro enterologist who would be able to examine you and make an accurate diagnosis.

Best of luck...Take care.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much, doctor.

It was a very professional and thorough reply.

I'm booking an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

Wishing yousuccessful happy New Year.

Natalia Dalby

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
you are most welcome.
happy new yr to you too and your family.

best regards
dr. Sam