Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997

Your opinion on MegaRed Omega-3Krill Oil. Does it qualify

Your opinion on MegaRed Omega-3Krill Oil. Does it qualify as a replacement for regular Fish Oil? My primary care physician did not have the answer for me. Reg Fish Oil upsets my stomach.

Thank You
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 5 years ago.
Both the fish oil capsule and omega-3 krill oil capsule contain omega-3 fatty acids like eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The content of the EPA and DHA can vary in different brands of the capsules and their source. In addition fish oil capsule contains Vitamin A and D, while Omega-3 Krill Oil capsule contains Astaxathine, Gelatin, Glycerin, Sorbitol. This is the difference between the two capsules.
As far as omega-3 fatty acid supplementation is concerned, both are good sources. There are some minor differences. High quality krill oil, derived from cold Antarctic waters, may be of greater purity compared to fish oil derived from seas exposed to more pollutants and the influence of man. So, the contamination is said to be less in krill oil as compared to fish oil. Krill oil in addition has an anti-oxidant Astaxanthine, which is not present in fish oil. In krill oil there is attached molecule of phospholipid, which increases the absorption of omega-3 fatty acids.
All in all, both capsules are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids. High quality capsules of fish oil have mostly same beneficial effects as krill oil capsule.