Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor

I have a cold that has lasted for about 2 months now, with

I have a cold that has lasted for about 2 months now, with a raging sore thraot and a very chesty cough. I didn't want to bother my GP with it because they are very busy at this time and I didn't want her to think that I was wasting her time, but everything I have tried
have not made any difference. My chest is very sore and I cough up a lot of green phlegm. Is there anything you can sugest. Im careful of what I can take because Ive had 2 heart attacks, I ve also kept up with my flu jabs for the last 13 years. Ive had this trouble since I had my last jab. I hope you can help

As you have sore throat and a very chesty cough with frequent coughing-up of a lot of green phlegm not getting improved by itself, most probably it is bacterial.

If it is viral, then it should resolve with the supportive measures (like honey, lemon, rest, pain and cough medicine) by 2 months.

In case of bacterial infection antibiotics will be required.

Cough syrup alone will not help.

For prescription, you have to go to doctor.

OTC medicine will not help.

When you are still having symptoms I feel that you should not wait any more.

you should consult doctor asap.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.