Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

my wife has a paralyzed intestine and we are at home we were

Customer Question

my wife has a paralyzed intestine and we are at home we were at the er and they sent us home is this what we need to be doing or what she is in alot of pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer

Before an answer can be furnished, could you tell me the exact diagnosis that you ER doctor wrote on your papers?
The reason in first place that caused you to take her to ER?
The diseases she is already suffering from and the medications she is taking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she has been sick for 2 weeks and could not break it so we took her to the er she was on diphenoxylate and belladonna and ondansetron but they told her to stop the first two and ondansetron if needed and she is taking them and still vomiting
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

When was her last ER visit?

Has she bloating, gas, inability to pass flatus, abdominal pain/cramps?

What is the reason assigned for the paralyzed intestines?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
her last visit was about 5 hours ago. she can not go to the restroom. thats what the got from the ct

A paralyzed intestine (termed as paralytic ileus) would need intravenous fluids and correction of the cause. The most common causes are following;

1) Electrolyte imbalance; which occurs and aggravates due to vomiting

2) High blood urea; if the dehydration supervenes.

3) Impacted stool in the rectum and colon (large intestines).

4) Medications which decrease the intestinal movements.

She can consider an over the counter water based enema. This is likely to evacuate the impacted stool in the intestines and may stimulate the intestines to work. If Ondansetron does not stop vomiting, she may need injectable anti-vomiting medication and intravenous fluids, so dehydration and electrolyte imbalance does not supervene and is corrected.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 1/1/2011 at 3:52 AM EST