Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

i feel like there is a bubble in my chest when i breathe.

i feel like there is a bubble in my chest when i breathe. at times it is better than others and then it comes back. it started just 3 or 4 days ago. it went away and came back slightly more frequently. i have been a smoker on and off for years. i'm not exactly short of breath but i may be compensating. otherwise i am healthy (enough). i walk 2 to 3 miles 4 to 6 days a week (in about 45 mins). i have no symtoms that indicate viral or bacterial infections (fever, coughing up phlem etc.) is this simply the check coming due for never totally quitting smoking? what in particular might it be? i ask because i have a trip coming up and no time to see my doctor before it. thanks
eric
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

Can you please give few more details about your symptom

DR HASAN :

are you getting my message?

DR HASAN :

Is there any associated pain?

Customer :

dec 23 i reached down to get something and felt as if there was a bubble in my chest. not exactly hard to breathe but i was aware of it. i also have found myself for some time kind of regulating my breathing after walking up stairs. inhaling and slowly letting the air out. i may be compensating for slight loss of breath. i'm completely fine at rest but occasionally still feel aware of the bubble feeling

DR HASAN :

Do you have any feeling of fluid trickling in throat?

DR HASAN :

and where exactly you feel the bubble, left side right side or midline?

Customer :

no. no symptoms that i'm aware of that indicate viral or bacterial. colds/flu etc. i do have a slight smoker's cough. occasional short cough. have had for some time.

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer :

i suppose i should mention the slight cough is more or less one cough and i clear my throat. smoker's cough is assume

DR HASAN :

ok do you feel any stomach burning ?

Customer :

no

DR HASAN :

Where exactly in chest is the bubble feeling?

Customer :

up high. just below neck in center of chest

DR HASAN :

Do you feel any nasal obstruction or nasal discharge?

Customer :

no. nothing abnormal

Customer :

slight stuffiness occasionally but not new symptom

Customer :

mild allergies

DR HASAN :

Well the throat clearing you have is most probably due to the chronic sinus inflammation which is common in smokers'

DR HASAN :

and if you have mild allergies that can play a role

Customer :

right.

DR HASAN :

other than that there is nothing serious

DR HASAN :

you have no such symptoms which should make me think of anything alarming

DR HASAN :

the bubble sensation can be due to the same mucus which make you clear the throat

Customer :

the slight shortness of breath or bubble feeling. what could it mean? i've had the other symptoms, the cough clearing of throat from smoking for some time. the bubble feeling is alarming

DR HASAN :

when exactly you get short of breath?

Customer :

the bubble feeling (which seems to be a very slight shortness of breath) is just on and off. i notice it more after things like walking up stairs. i haven't noticed it while walking but withthe holiday i've only walked one mile at a moderate pace since symptoms started

Customer :

i do find myself taking a deep breath and letting our the air slowly a lot. like an extended sigh. it seems to help. i wonder if that is compensating

DR HASAN :

Do you feel short of breath while you are in bed lying flat without a pillow?

DR HASAN :

any other diagnosed medical condition?

Customer :

i haven't slept without a pillow. i do have sleep apnea. i'm sorry should have mentioned that. i use a v-pap machine for apnea not caused by airway constriction, but rather something in my brain not signaling me to breathe.

Customer :

i don't believe it's to do with nasal or throat issues. it's defintely in my lungs

DR HASAN :

Any wheezing sounds while having shortness of breath?

DR HASAN :

sleep apnea, yes its important because it can cause heart and lungs related problems, although you donot have any significant symptoms those but getting them checked will be worth

Customer :

i occasionally have slight rasping or wheezing sounds which go away after coughing. this hasn't happened during shortness of breath though. i wheeze some in my sleep and sometimes during deep breathing while having sex. i assume from smoking/apnea

DR HASAN :

wheeze usually indicated asthma

DR HASAN :

can be mild one

Customer :

rasp/wheeze has been easily ignored for some time. simply coughing has stopped the sound. lungs have sounded okay when listened to by doc. but of course it can't be a good sign. could the bubble feeling be a symptom of progressive breathing problems or soemthing urgent

DR HASAN :

Well urgent to the extent that can be investigated by a chest xray and lung function tests

DR HASAN :

but not urgent to the extent of going to ER

Customer :

what are my odds of improving after quitting smoking. if so how long improvement? 5-10 years before decline? or less? last lung function test slightly below normal. in low to mid 90's

DR HASAN :

to quit Smoking is a good thing

DR HASAN :

after someone quit smoking, this can induce cough for sometime

DR HASAN :

because the cilia in the respiratory tract undergo healing

DR HASAN :

Last lung function test was abnormal and this needs to be repeated if the symptoms are still there.

Customer :

right. but in general how normal might i be for next 10 years or so. i've read that lung function can go back to close to normal levels as lungs heal. previuosly thought that it couldn't happen. is this newer research correct that you can actually go back to almost normal after 7 to 10 non- smoking years or am i too old for that to happen. if new data is correct. also. i am on chantix. would nicorette be more useful statistically?

DR HASAN :

Yes non smoking years does matter and if the damage is only smoking related it can reverse or get better to significant extent

DR HASAN :

but this all depends on what is the cause of lung damage and how severe is the lung damage

DR HASAN :

Chantix can be useful definitely in many people

DR HASAN :

but for smoking its your will that matters a lot because smoking tobbacco is not like smoking other things

Customer :

if lung damage only from smoking are my odds good of symptoms stopping for some time? few years? also i am going on a cruise to south america. could the heat and humidity put me in danger breathing wise at this stage of probable asthma?

DR HASAN :

Yes this can be dangerous for you because if you get aggravation of the problem you can be in trouble

DR HASAN :

Better to be evaluated before

DR HASAN :

i know difficult but health comes first

Customer :

how bad?

DR HASAN :

It all depends because if you get reaction to some allergen that can affect

DR HASAN :

It all depends

DR HASAN :

You might go and nothing happen

Customer :

if i can't get in to doc should i stay on boat rather than go on islands

DR HASAN :

so definitely we canot see before

Customer :

office closed

DR HASAN :

You should take Salbutamol inhaler with you

DR HASAN :

Its OTC

DR HASAN :

Can be used while being short of breath

DR HASAN :

it will help if its asthma

Customer :

anything else i should do or avoid

DR HASAN :

Take Tab citrizine daily

DR HASAN :

Use face mask to avoid allergens to some extent

Customer :

is that over the counter?

DR HASAN :

yes

Customer :

thanks. how do i authorize payment?

DR HASAN :

You are welcome

DR HASAN :

i wish happy new year to you

DR HASAN :

You need to click ACCEPT button

DR HASAN :

its green colored

Customer :

okay. happy new year to you as well.

DR HASAN :

Thanks

DR HASAN :

Wish you a safe trip too

DR HASAN :

Click ACCEPT button

DR HASAN :

Regards

DR HASAN :

if any problem, let me know please

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery