Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor

Hi. My husband slipped on ice and hit the back of his head

Hi. My husband slipped on ice and hit the back of his head causing a hematoma,then headache dizziness etc. I was unable to get him go for treatment until four days later. There the Doctor diagnosed him with a concussion and stronglynurged him to get a CAT scan, which he refused to do. Two days later, he fell backwards down the stairs in our home, landing with the same area of his head hitting a wall. Pride seems to be making him unreasonable, he claims he is uninjured other than his back which he intends to "tough it out". He claims to have no headache. Alcohol has been involved throughout,in amounts that I cannot discern - but not drunkenness. He will not seek medical attention. Might you give me any direction in how to help him in this difficult situation?

When did it occur?

Is there any symptom now?

Does he have any other previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, the first slip on the ice was five days ago. The fall down the stairs was last night. He says he has no headache or problems with his vision as he did just after the first fall. Physically,his back is quite quite painful ans I cannot tell if he is suffering from lack of balance or if he is grabbing things for support because of pain. He is irrational and has done some things that are far out of character. He has glazed eyes and he seems quite dazed, but this could be alcohol (he hides it from me).

He had an alcoholic seizure three or four days before the first slip. He is an alcoholic.

Thank you for the information,

As he seems quite dazed I feel he needs to be examined again by doctor.

Though alcohol can be a factor but the symptoms can be confusing & brain injury should always be ruled out.

If you can not take him to hospital, you need to observe him.

If any of the following symptoms develop, you should take him to ER without delay.

Feeling of nausea , confusion, visual problems/blurred vision, weakness or convulsion, stiffness of neck, facial asymmetry etc.

Respiratory difficulty or shallow breathing or fluid discharge from nose or ear are some of the symptoms which needs to be observed in case of trauma to head.

If he complains of pain ibuprofen can be given.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.

Edited by Dr .Saha on 12/30/2010 at 7:56 AM EST