Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

muscle..very top of my left leg..bowel movement or urinate..extremely

I have a pulled muscle type pain at the very top of my left leg -- it seems to lessen when I have a bowel movement or urinate, but hurts all the time. The pain is constant, but escalates when move and/or walk. I'm 61, overweight and extremely sedentary (I work a lot of hours in a law firm). Sometimes the pain seems to abate, but then returns. I also have a bad tendency not to drink much water and to not go to the ladies room at the first sign of needing to -- I'll sit and "hold it" for extremely long periods of time. Thank you for any insight.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are you present online?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
from the symptoms that you are describing it seems that there are two possibilities in your case -
- a nerve compression. Since you are having pain in the upper part of left leg and increases on walking, these symptoms are seen on a nerve compression. Sciatic nerve compression commonly presents with your symptoms
- a urine infection - the fact that your pain decreases on passing urine, might indicate a urine infection. But usually in such a case, there are other symptoms like fever, burning urination etc.
I would recommend you to get a urine examination done to rule out infection and if it is normal then consult an Orthopedecian to look for nerve compression and further treatment.
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know the symptoms of a urine infection and know I don't have one -- the pain feels like a pulled muscle and hurts when I get into bed and have to pull the left leg onto the bed or when I turn over, etc. I've hurt my sciatic nerve before (and hopefully will never do that again). Walking doesn't always exacerbate the pain, but moving the left leg does--there are no knots or rashes. Does this sound like a simple muscle pull--which I guess I could have done getting into the bed? Sorry not to accept the first answer, but would like an answer to this last email. Thanks so much.
You might be having a pulled muscle. But usually in that case the pain should be persistent always with worsening in a particular posture. Also, in case of a persistent pulled muscle or ligament it is difficult to walk or put weight on the affected limb.
The correct diagnosis would be reached only after a first hand examination by an Orthopedecian.
Regards
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience: MD since 1997