Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997

muscle..very top of my left leg..bowel movement or urinate..extremely

I have a pulled muscle type pain at the very top of my left leg -- it seems to lessen when I have a bowel movement or urinate, but hurts all the time. The pain is constant, but escalates when move and/or walk. I'm 61, overweight and extremely sedentary (I work a lot of hours in a law firm). Sometimes the pain seems to abate, but then returns. I also have a bad tendency not to drink much water and to not go to the ladies room at the first sign of needing to -- I'll sit and "hold it" for extremely long periods of time. Thank you for any insight.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 5 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are you present online?

from the symptoms that you are describing it seems that there are two possibilities in your case -
- a nerve compression. Since you are having pain in the upper part of left leg and increases on walking, these symptoms are seen on a nerve compression. Sciatic nerve compression commonly presents with your symptoms
- a urine infection - the fact that your pain decreases on passing urine, might indicate a urine infection. But usually in such a case, there are other symptoms like fever, burning urination etc.
I would recommend you to get a urine examination done to rule out infection and if it is normal then consult an Orthopedecian to look for nerve compression and further treatment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know the symptoms of a urine infection and know I don't have one -- the pain feels like a pulled muscle and hurts when I get into bed and have to pull the left leg onto the bed or when I turn over, etc. I've hurt my sciatic nerve before (and hopefully will never do that again). Walking doesn't always exacerbate the pain, but moving the left leg does--there are no knots or rashes. Does this sound like a simple muscle pull--which I guess I could have done getting into the bed? Sorry not to accept the first answer, but would like an answer to this last email. Thanks so much.
You might be having a pulled muscle. But usually in that case the pain should be persistent always with worsening in a particular posture. Also, in case of a persistent pulled muscle or ligament it is difficult to walk or put weight on the affected limb.
The correct diagnosis would be reached only after a first hand examination by an Orthopedecian.