Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Can I take Prilosec daily indefinitely for GERD (it works well

Can I take Prilosec daily indefinitely for GERD (it works well for me) -- have hiatel hernia so was not sure if not taking increases risk of severe damage to esophagus or even eshoph cancer.

If not -- any other recommendations on medicines and dosages and long term (I already try and manage by eating best I can and not laying down after meals etc,c(
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Prilosec can be taking long-term for GERD with any risk of severe complications. It is for such reason of good safety during long-term usage that made it possible for Prilosec to be approved as over the counter (OTC) without prescription. In general, Prilosec blocks the production of acid associated with GERD by the pump of the stomach parietal cells. Other alternative medications that can be used for GERD include Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, and Aciphex. In general, they are all effective, but Prilosec has the most post-market clinical safety data, and is generally quite safe. Pepcid, as with Axid and Zantac can be used safely as well. These last mentioned (Pepcid, Axid, Zantac) medications work differently from Prilosec by directly blocking the receptors involved in the message transmission of acid production. I suggest that you continue the use of Priloesc and Pepcid as recommended by your doctor.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.