Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

i have bloating, chronic constipation, pencil thin stool, never

i have bloating, chronic constipation, pencil thin stool, never feel like i empty my colon, rectal pain... like a knife.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

How long and how frequently are you having the constipation, rectal pain, thin stool?

Is the rectal pain a new symptom?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any medicine other than miralax?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.

Edited by Dr .Saha on 12/26/2010 at 4:42 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have struggled with constipation on and off my entire life. i have gotten EXCELLENT results with fiber, water, colon cleanses, colonics, acupuncture, massage.

i have had pencil thin stool since June / July 2010

i have had the stabbing knife pain most recently.

i was hospitalized 3 days with constipation unrelieved by Golytely

i was eventually cleaned out with more Golytely and enemas..... all liquid stool... NEVER felt cleaned out.

yes , i take other medication..... have for years... Armour Thyroid, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Bioidentical Hormones... I have taken these meds since 1993 /and 2005 .... NO CORRELATION with the constipation.

i had a colonoscopy in 1999 .... diagnosis severe colon dysmotility... they wanted me to take cholchecine to cause diarrhea..... i chose not to... i was fearful of the other side effects and long term damage.

i had a gastric emptying study, although the doctor had me taking azithromycin liquid at the time so the test was not valid.

i recently had something like a barium enema that was supposedly normal

the thing that concerns me is i have not had ANY solid stool for months and i NEVER feel empty... i am bloated and only poop fluid or very soft pencil thin stool. please give me the chance to respond to your comments ... thank you

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

With your history of constipation & knife like pain it seems to be due to anal fissure.

In fissure there can be spasm of anal sphincter causing pencil thin or narrow stool.

In case of fissure, antihemorrhoid cream like preparation H, frequent sitz bath can help.

Other possibilities of pencil thin stool with constipation & bloating can be irritable bowel syndrome.

Other causes like a growth or obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract can press & make the lumen narrow and produce such symptom.

When barium enema is normal, growth or obstruction is unlikely.

However if the symptoms persist, you will need a repeat examination by doctor to find out the exact cause.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.

Edited by Dr .Saha on 12/26/2010 at 5:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is there any cure or treatment so i can have normal bowel movements?

is there any treatment for the pencil thin stools?

will i ever empty my colon normally again?

is removing part of my colon an option?

is there a CURE for anal fissures and returning stool size to normal?

thank you kindly

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

The treatment of anal fissure are sitz baths, stool softeners, anesthetic creams etc.

Other treatment options is nitroglycerin or nifedipine cream is used to relax the anal sphincter which increases blood flow, thus help to reduce the pain. This can help with healing of fissure.

Botox can be used and repeated injection every 3 months can be required.

If they do not help, then surgery is the option.

You can consult with a proctologist to make a treatment plan for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

will i EVER have a "normal sized" / consistency bowel movement again.... i am going to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville

i just want to have a normal bm and not be bloated all the time

thank you doctor

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
With proper tretament and life style management you can have normal bowel movement.

You are always welcome to Just Answer Website.

Please press the accept button if you are satisfied with my answer so that I can be compensated for my time & work.

Best of health.

Merry Christmas.