Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have noticed a large lump on my right hip, just below my

I have noticed a large lump on my right hip, just below my joint at my hip. I noticed it a few days ago.
Im planning on making a doctors appointment to have it look at if it doesnt go away within a week.
should i be more concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

How is the lump {hard/soft}? How is the overlying skin {any change in color}? Did you hurt yourself recently/ does it affect your walking {limp}? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the lump is soft, it feels in comparison to a stress ball, with less resistance.

no change in skin color.

but the bump it creates is visible and the blue color in the veins are more pronounced.

i have not hurt myself. or strained myself in any way. i have no medical conditions that i know of.

Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

We need to consider few causes. Let me explain a bit.

Hip is a complex region of the body. There are underlying bones {femur, pelvic bone}/ overlying ligaments, tendons, muscles/ nerves, vessels/ bursa/ fat and skin. Any abnormality at either of these can present as lump. In your case my first bet will be some soft tissue lesion {arising from fat/ muscle/ vascular or nerve/ hematoma - following a trauma which you would have not noticed or appreciated}. As the lump is not causing a limp or is not painful relieves me a bit.

A physical check up is needed for sure along with few investigations like ultrasound study followed by MRI if needed later/ blood tests/ x ray to clinch the diagnosis. Treatment will follow.

Till than avoid any injury to lump/ go to ER if there is sudden pain or increase in size.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the advice.

i haven't noticed it growing, but i will watch it closley this next week untill i can go see my doctor.

i hope you have a very merry christmas!

god bless you and yours as well!