Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

what can cause minimal blunting of the left costophrenic angle

Customer Question

what can cause minimal blunting of the left costophrenic angle suggesting minimal effusion? resolution and what does it mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 3 years ago.
Greetings,

Do you have any symptom? Since how long it is there? Was repeat X ray taken? Was any other test done? Are you on any medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i had two chest xrays a month inbetween each one had a chest infection which wouldnt shift lasted 5 wks evev after two lots of antibiotics i am currently on anti depresents and have been for 10 months another chest xray due to be done today this will be a month since previouse 1 i had a biopsy on my adernoid tissue 1 wk ago and have a lump on my neck which is due to b scaned blocked gland? i had blood test but they were clear
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Blunting of the costophrenic angle can be due to collection of fluid. The common cause is an infection. Inflammation from other causes like immunological disorders .or a growth or passive accumulation from increased venous pressure can also cause it. I think your doctor diagnosed it as an infection & so treated with antibiotics. In case it is still there your doctor can suggest other tests like scan.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
Hi
I was following you question. When fluid accumulates in the lungs, it causes changes on the xray. This can look like changes (or blunting) of the angle of the diaphragm, fluffiness in the lungs or even lines between parts of the lungs. When you have an infection, you accumulate fluid in the lungs due to the influx of inflammatory fluid. This is why you have the blunting. This will resolve after antibiotics. Less common causes would include heart failure, but this would be rare in an otherwise healthy person. If you are concerned, you can get an echocardiogram of the heart. But this should resolve within the next month or so...I do not think that this is related to your blocked gland

warm regards
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing