Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

My left ear has been numb now for two days. No pain associated,

Customer Question

My left ear has been numb now for two days. No pain associated, just feels numb.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Any problem in hearing?
How long has it been so?
Any trauma to this area recently?
Any medicine you take for any chronic illness?
Is there tingling sort of situation associated with it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem hearing.

First noticed this yesterday.

No trauma that I'm aware of, although I did fall down about a week or so down some stairs (9 steps), but, don't remember hitting my head.

I take Mirapex and Sinemet for Parkisons.

No tingling, just feels weird.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
Hello again

Sorry to hear about your problem

The numbness in the ear can be due to variety of reasons. Some of them are

Diabetes
Peripheral neuropathy
Sensory nerve trauma
Ear infection
Cold
Cerebro vascular accident
Ear injury etc

As there is no history of trauma , so ear injury and sensory nerve trauma can be ruled out. Diabetes can be detected by undergoing a blood glucose test. This numbness can be caused by a preceeding throat infection which can result in ear infection leading to numbness. However the most devastating evantuality can be a CVA or an impeding stroke. This has to be ruled out first.
Your best course would be to have a neurological examination done on you as soon as possible even if you have to go to ER. Visiting a neurologist would be even better. A CT scan of the brain would be required to look for any possible infarction or bleeding that may be the root cause of this numbness. This cause should be dealt as an emergency. remaining all can be looked upon only after ruling out this eventuality.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you are saying I should have a CT done right away? I have been really congested the last couple of days.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
Hello again

Yes thats what I want to say, the investigations should be done right away to rule out cerebrovascular accident or an impeding stroke..
If all examinations and investigations are negative , then secondary ear infection can be considered and treated accordingly.

Best of luck...Take care.

Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

I disagree with this assessment. The customer just feels numbness over his left ear ( auricular part).

He does not have any hearing loss or any other neurological signs suggestive of cranial nerve involvement.

the auricular part of the ear is supplied by the greater auricular nerve originating from the cervical spine ( C1-2) to be precise.

The customer gives a recent history of fall. It is likely due to the injury to the GA nerve from the fall.

This is possible without even sustaining any neck injury.

Hence a CT scan of brain will not show this injury.

Instead, he needs cervical spine evaluation if this persists or worsens.

otherwise, this will take its own course & heal naturally.