Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

I have dry raw sinuses and congestion in upper chest area.What to do?

Customer Question

Have intense sinus pain, feels raw, sore throat from dripping, and feels like congestion upper chest area, also hoarse voice now, very painful dry sinus and painful congestion which requires me to 'clear my throat' frequently (its lower than that though, the congestion, I'm clearly clearing my chest), I don't know if I need antibiotics or not. Phlegm bright yellow but not a ton of it, more so in the morning also foul smell from sinus. Also, this is really bad in the morning and at night. During the day somehow I've been able to 'walk it off' and feel relatively OK, despite persistent sinus symptoms, esp. to the right. This has been going on for about a week, progressively getting worse.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Well, your symptoms are due to sinus problem, called as Acute Sinusitis.
It is the inflammation of the nasal sinuses. It is usually caused by infection (bacterial or viral).

You are having classical symptoms of Sinusitis and should be managed by doctor.
You need to be given antibiotics, such as amoxicillin, erythromycin for seven to ten days. You may be given Prescription inhalers which help in healing sinus membranes after the bacteria have been eliminated.
And Antihistamines include chlorpheniramine will be given.

You should Keep a humidifier running in your home and office or use an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

I advise you to see -doctor for prescription medications.
Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wny do I have chest congestion, however, if it is sinusitis?

Well, chest congestion can be due to bacterial infection associated with Sinusitis. It is the accumulation of excess fluid and mucus in the lungs.
You may be having associated lung infection along with Sinusitis. These both can be managed and treated with antibiotics.
Please see doctor.
Good luck .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, thank you!

This was very helpful!

Most welcome and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Take care.