Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

I have this tingling feeling inside of the ear canal?

I have this tingling in my ears like there is a hair tickling them. I drives me crazy. It comes and goes not all the time.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer: Do you have ringing in ears? Is there any discharge from ears?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No ringing no discharge. Just this tickling feeling that comes and goes.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info given.

The most common cause of this tingling sensation is damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. Other causes are, hearing nerve impairment due to advanced age, wax build up or foreign objects in the ear canal, ear or sinus infections, exposure to loud noise, diseases of the central nervous system.

You will need some specific tests like an Audiogram, ABR or auditory brain response, acoustic reflex test or tympanogram at an ENT clinic. In many cases, it may simply go away on its own. Otherwise treatment includes anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants,antihistamines, anticonvulsants, Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT).
The exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination & tests. So I advice you to make an appointment with your ENT doctor.