Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have pain in the top of my hand near my wrist in the centre.

I have pain in the top of my hand near my wrist in the centre. I cand bend my hand for the pain can u tell me what might be causing it _Thanks Kayla

Hi Kayla. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Since when have you had the pain?

Q. What is your occupation?

Q. Is there any tingling or numbness in the hand?

Q. Do you have the pain at night or is this continuous during the day as well?

Q. Since when have you had the pain?

Q. Any history of trauma?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have had the pain for the last couple of months.

I work at McDonalds and have done for the last 5yrs

i et a little bit of a burning sensation around the wrist area.

I have the pain all the time its just getting worse

Thanks for the details.

This type of pain usually occurs in Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Since, it is affecting only one hand all the causes of generalized paraesthesias like vitamin deficiencies and other causes like cervical spondylosis and thoracic outlet syndrome can be easily set aside and ruled out.

I suggest that you get an appointment with your PCP to start with. S/he will perform some clinical tests namely, the Tinel's test and the Phalen test to confirm the diagnosis.

Other tests like Nerve Conduction Studies can also prove useful. A small day care procedure for release of the nerve can be done later on if this is found out to be carpel tunnel syndrome.

The most typical signs you have that goes in favor of this diagnosis is the burning sensation, relief of pain on bending the wrist and the progression of the pain. THis is especially common among young female who type a lot or use their hands a lot to lift objects like trays and dishes.

You can for now start on anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen (Advil, Brufen, Motrin) 600 mg thrice daily and also apply liquigels like Dicloran or Brufen thrice daily on the painful area. Immobilizing the wrist by wearing a wrist brace and being gentle with the hand will also be very beneficial.

Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist. A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated. Best.