Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

What can cause numbness in the legs when sitting or lying down

Customer Question

What can cause numbness in the legs when sitting or lying down and your shoulders to hurt when you move your arms up and around?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Since how long the symptoms are there? Are both sides affected? Is there any other symptom swelling , redness, tenderness? Was any test done? Are you on any medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it has been about 3 months and both legs and arms are this way and no I have not been tested. I am not taking any medication and no past illness.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

The feeling of numbness is related to nerve impulses. It can be due to low calcium or electrolytes, B12 or other vitamins or use of alcohol, tobacco, if you take any. The other probables are thyroid diseases, diabetes, pinching of a nerve or other nerve diseases. When it is coming on lying or sitting, there can be nerve impingement from posture. In some cases it can be due to low blood supply to a part. The pain in the shoulders can be due to a different condition. It can be due to arthritis, adhesive capsulitis, rotator cuff problems etc. Initially NSAIDs like ibuprofen or aspirin, physiotherapy can help. As it is continuing for 3 months I would advise to get it examined by doctor. If he thinks necessary, he can advise X ray, scan, blood tests after examining you.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I take calcium and B12 pills and can you get it over the counter?