Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Am I better to take Androgel or DHEA for very low testosterone and DHEA levels O

Customer Question

Am I better to take Androgel or DHEA for very low testosterone and DHEA levels? On Androgel 5mg daily now and frontal hairline is quickly thinning since starting three months ago. Skin just began developing brown age spots suddenly. It's like I've developed accelerated aging! Dr. Ray Shahalian's website said any DHEA use over 5 mg is playing with fire. LEF recommends 50 mg day with 7-Keto for 50+ males. Need to know whether to stay on Adrogel or try to raise very low (age matched)DHEA and testosterone levels with DHEA supplementation?
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Hair loss is often associated with testosterone supplementation. However, there is no way to determine whether your hair loss has occurred due to the androgel or DHEA supplementation or as a natural process due to age.

In your case, considering your age, it is likely to be a natural part of aging and not specifically related to testosterone supplementation. As far as hair loss is concerned, both androgel and DHEA would have equal effects. So changing from Androgel to DHEA is not likely to help with this.

You can consider DHEA supplementation, but you will need monitoring of the testosterone levels to determine the right dose of DHEA. This is of course needed for Androgel too.

It is best to consult a Urologist and discuss about the correct supplement to use and the doses required.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Use an expert with hormone replacement expertise. DHEA supplementation has other benefits ie anti-aging, vs just boosting testosterone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Please use a doctor with expertise in hormone replacement therapy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I already said the quality of the answer was poor. Why did you process my payment? I wanted another answer from a doctor who specializes in hormone replacement therapy or anti-aging. This doctor is a general practicioner and gave a general answer.
Expert:  Nephrologist replied 3 years ago.

Just passing by. I am a nephrologist but take care of older men, who often ask me about testosterone replacement. Please consider that latest studies show increased cardiovascular risk (ie increased risk of heart attacks and strokes) from such therapy. Pls weigh this against perceived benefits. No renumeration required...just a thought.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
Conventional doctors for the most part are still not doing a lot of bio-identical hormone therapy.

The fact is that if your testosterone is very low you won't be able to raise it enough by taking DHEA.

Androgel is very typically used in a physiologic dose.

Another approach is to use multiple means to stimulate DHEA to raise naturally, see where this takes the testosterone, and supplement based on measurement.

DHEA should be used with caution in anyone who might have prostate cancer, as should androgel.

The essence of bio-identical hormone therapy is that it is complex and clinical, and not very standardized. You therefor need a practitioner who is experienced in this, preferably an MD or DO to help you, as levels will have to be monitored.

As it stands in relation to your questions, the fastest and most efficient way to raise testosterone is androgel, but minimize risk by using a professional
Good luck
let me know if you have more questions
Please click Accept to give answer credit. Ask more if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only