doctornihil
doctornihil, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MD, MPH
18459754

My blood feels as though it is on fire coursing through my

My blood feels as though it is on fire coursing through my veins, any idea of what may cause this sensation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  doctornihil replied 3 years ago.

doctornihil :

Hello

doctornihil :

Did they diagnose you with anything? What were their blood test results, ? Thanks

Customer :

No one seems to be able to come up with a cause. Blood work normal

doctornihil :

Have you tried a Dermatologist (skin doctor) ?

Customer :

yes, there are no signs externally

doctornihil :

Have you had any bruising in any of the areas?

Customer :

no, it is throughout my entire body. I can literally feel my blood going thru the vessels

doctornihil :

Any diabeties? or blood cltting problems?

Customer :

no

doctornihil :

any medication tried?

Customer :

anti inflamatories

doctornihil :

how you feel with that?

Customer :

like my blood is burning

doctornihil :

So you feel the same as if you did not take the meds?

Customer :

basically

doctornihil :

Have you tried going to a Hemotologist..(blood doctor)?

Customer :

been there done that got the t shirt no answers

doctornihil :

With the blood work being normal it is hard to say.. Have you had checked to see maybe its allergies to a certain detergent or food. Have you tried an Allergist?

Customer :

Yes, and they came up with nothing. It seems that I am a medical mystery

doctornihil :

Without meaning offense to you, have they refered you to see a psychiatrist to consider neuropsychogenic disorder?

Customer :

This started after the birth of my child and has gotten worse over time. Have you ever heard of any problems as an after effect of pitocin?? I had a reaction to it during labor.

Customer :

been there too

doctornihil :

yes, but this should not cause such a long lasting effect, if you do not have any brain damage

Customer :

As far as I know I have no brain damage, however if you ask my husband, he may disagree!

doctornihil :

ok.

doctornihil :

did you get a contrast enhanced MRI scan of the brain?

Customer :

Yes

doctornihil :

ok

doctornihil :

you may consider a trial of Lyrica (pregabalin)

doctornihil :

lyrica may help if this problem is related to sensory nerve disorder---abnormal perception by the smaal fiber nerves supplying the blood vessels

Customer :

I really have tried everything, and no one seems to be able to come up with what the cause is. I just thought I would try this to see if anyone else had this complaint

Customer :

what would cause the nerve disorder

doctornihil :

no particular reason--

doctornihil :

can be caused by stress from labor, viral illness

Customer :

and it would last for years??

doctornihil :

Various physical or emotional factors may play a role in triggering symptoms

doctornihil :

This is thought to be the result of a change in perception, a phenomenon termed "central sensitization"

Customer :

losing me

doctornihil :

there is no generally agreed upon explanation for how or why central sensitization develops. The most plausible theory suggests that some people have a genetic predisposition because of a heightened sense of pain. In other people, various stressors, including infection, physical or emotional trauma, sleep disturbances, or other medical conditions allow for the development of this sensation.

Customer :

and it effects pain in the body

Customer :

rather, causes pain in the body?

doctornihil :

yes, it is just change in perception

doctornihil :

unfortunately, no test can prove this, as this is still evolving field

Customer :

perception, my body sees stress etc, as pain

doctornihil :

pain or firing sensation

doctornihil :

this is how the nerves perceive

Customer :

So far, you have been the only one to come up with something plausible. I appreciate your time in listening to my symptoms and trying to help. I will research more of this. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

doctornihil :

very welcome.

doctornihil :

happy holidays

doctornihil :

I am glad to know that you have found my advice helpful.
Please click ACCEPT, if you do not have any other question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

doctornihil, Board Certified Physician
Experience: MD, MPH