Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

what would cause my tongue to turn white and chalky, mainly

Customer Question

what would cause my tongue to turn white and chalky, mainly at the back.... no pain, just dryish and white.... i am a 50 yr old caucasian female, healthy, no tobaco, alcohol, drugs etc... thank you, J
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.

Do you have cold symptoms?

Do you have mouth breathing?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.

Edited by Dr .Saha on 12/14/2010 at 11:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is the first time. Just started yesterday with a dryness swallowing.

have not seen my dr. yet

I take hormone replacements (progest and estrogen) daily for the last 6 months

No tests

no other symptoms relating to this.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

From your history it seems to be due to thrush which causes white coating.

Thrush is caused by yeast called candida.

Mouth breathing due to cold or any other cause can cause dry mouth.

It can follow a dry mouth when the secretion is thickened to form a white coating.

In that case, taking plenty of water and liquid can help to maintain hydration.

In many cases it passes off on its own

Yogurt with lactobacilli in it helps in thrush.

You can try it.

If it persists you need to consult doctor to have an evaluation.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.

Edited by Dr .Saha on 12/14/2010 at 11:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what causes thrush? what yeast? I eat plain live yogurt almost every day already.

I did begin ti use a teeth-whitening mouthwash (rembrandt) - could that be a problem?

thank you

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
When did you start?

How frequently are you using the mouth wash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I use it only at night before sleeping as it makes my teeth slightly sensitive. I started using it last week.

I was just reading about symptoms for thrush and i am not sure if it applies. I do not have leisions, it is not painful, just dry and chalky down the center and slightly 'furry' feeling.. I seem to have plenty of saliva.....

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
When the symptoms have started just after one week of the new mouth wash, it can be due to allergy to that.

In that case, you can withhold it for a for a few days to check whether it is due to that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you - I will try that.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
You are always welcome to Just Answer Website.

Please press the accept button if you are satisfied with my answer so that I can be compensated for my time & work.

Best of health.