Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

husband has pain in testicles, lower back pain on left side,

Customer Question

husband has pain in testicles, lower back pain on left side, fever, is 55 yrs old
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Since how long the symptoms are there? Is the testicle swollen? Any other symptom? How is urine? Is there any tender spot? Was any test done?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The last 3 days he has been complaining of pain in his lower back which was injured in a wreck many yrs ago. Today, he said his balls ache (is that scrotun or testicles) he has a fever and is in a Wahington DC hotel, away from home in AL working on location. Is usually not ever sick, tolerates pain well. Said it felt like someone had hit him in both of his balls. Urine is fine, no pain with urination, Sitting in hotel room with a coat on because he was cold. He has gone to bed now, but I know he is very sick and need to know if he needs to go to emegency room in AM. Just wanted to know what to plan on given this limited info? Do I need to get on a plane and get up there? He is very over worked, director of engineering, under a lot of stress, totally not sexually active with anyone other than me. Married 31 yrs. No blood in urine, No pain when urinating.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Testis pain can occur from a few causes. These can be infection, trauma, varicocele, torsion, growth etc. Some times it can be referred pain from other organ like urinary colic, radiculopathy from back spine. Lower back pain can radiate to testis. But when there is pain along with chill the cause can be due to an infection. He should get it examined by doctor there. Some tests like blood counts, urine analysis, ultrasound can be necessary.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

With the complaints of back pain that has gotten worse, accompanied suddenly today by feeling like someone had hit him in the testicles, plus fever, what's your best guess without any further info?

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
My best guess would be an infection. This is likely in the genitourinary tract.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this also have referred back pain? What are likely causes? Thanks so much!
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Back pain can be referred here. But with the presence of fever it sounds more like an infection.