Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I woke up this morning feeling very dizzy, sick and a bit shaky.

Customer Question

I woke up this morning feeling very dizzy, sick and a bit shaky. I was also very week and had a dry mouth. This has happened before, and Im wondering if it has to do with my sugar levels. Diabeties runs in my family and I want to know if thats something that could be affecting me. I was unable to test my blood at the time I was feeling the worst but later I was able too, about 30 minutes later and these were the results. First time 129 second time (15 minutes later) 91 and a third (about 15 minutes later) 86. Now I dont know how it could be so different each time or if that is even normal. All I know is I feel really bad right now and am not sure what could be wrong.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

What exactly you felt while being dizzy, unsteadiness or spinning sensation?

DR HASAN :

Was there any nausea, vomiting, sweating etc

DR HASAN :

visual disturbances, palpitations?

DR HASAN :

please reply to the info

DR HASAN :

you there

Customer :

I felt disoriented I guess you would call it. The room wasnt spinning or anything like that. I was nauseated and my vision didnt feel right. It wasnt blurred although in the past this has happened and was accompanied by blurred vision. I still feel a little sick and I dont know if I feel unsteady or what it is but I feel different. My mouth is still dry feeling too.

DR HASAN :

What is your blood pressure and pulse?

Customer :

a good way for me to describe what I was and still am feeling is a feeling as if I just got off a ride at the fair that spins you in cirlces.

DR HASAN :

Do you have any hearing loss and ear ringing?

Customer :

106/48 is my bp right now

Customer :

pulse is 59

Customer :

I dont have any hearing loss or ear ringing

DR HASAN :

Do you have any diagnosed medical condition ?

Customer :

no

DR HASAN :

Are you taking any medications?

Customer :

is my bp ok?

DR HASAN :

no its not

Customer :

no

DR HASAN :

i am coming towards that, just trying to know why its so

DR HASAN :

first of all i would say that your BP is low

Customer :

what does that mean

DR HASAN :

The diastolic one is quite low

DR HASAN :

Even pulse is on lower side

Customer :

is that why I feel different right now because of my bp

DR HASAN :

Normally it should be around 120/80

DR HASAN :

yes definitely

Customer :

so does this have any indications of diabeties

Customer :

or what do you think

Customer :

what should I do

DR HASAN :

Your first blood sugar level was a fasting one

DR HASAN :

?

Customer :

what does that mean fasting

DR HASAN :

means you were empty stomach or you have eaten something before that

Customer :

I didnt eat anything this morning because I woke up feeling so bad. I last ate at 10:00 pm or so.

DR HASAN :

Ok fine

DR HASAN :

your blood sugar of 129 was high

DR HASAN :

but this doesnot mean that you have diabetes

DR HASAN :

for confirmation of that either you have to check it regularly to maintain a record

Customer :

why would it have been so different the 3 times I took it.

Customer :

ok

DR HASAN :

one reading empty styomach in morning and other reading 2 hour after lunch

Customer :

what about my bp what would cause it to be off

DR HASAN :

For best confirmation you can have HbA1c test to see how was the blood sugar control over the last 3 months

DR HASAN :

Well can be due to not eating and drinking

DR HASAN :

Do you feel some missed beat feeling?

DR HASAN :

chest pain?

Customer :

This morning I was scared because I felt so weak and I found it harder to take breaths

Customer :

I think at one time I had a tense feeling but maybe I didnt, I know I havent had any real chest pain.

DR HASAN :

Ok thanks for your input

DR HASAN :

I will suggest that eat something and drink plenty of fluid

DR HASAN :

and see if your BP rises and pulse rises too

DR HASAN :

but i would suggest that if the symptoms donot settle soon , go to ER

DR HASAN :

because its the low pulse which is bothering me

Customer :

What I dont understand is why I woke up feeling like this. I didnt even have time to eat breakfast, usually the average person eats before bedtime then when they wake they eat breakfast. So i didnt really skip breakfast, I was already sick.

DR HASAN :

Yes that was the only possibility , very remote one

DR HASAN :

You cheked your blood pressure at home with a devise?

Customer :

what was the only possibility?

Customer :

yes I used a home device. should i try it again.

DR HASAN :

Low blood pressure can be due to heart problems, endocrine problems like blood sugar levels related problem, dehydration etc etc

DR HASAN :

There are many causes

DR HASAN :

Can you check it again and let me know

Customer :

101/50 is bp and 62 is my pulse now

DR HASAN :

The diastolic one is still very low

Customer :

what do you think is wrong and what should I do?

DR HASAN :

I suggest that you should drink lot of water and other drinks and if the symptoms doesnot settle see your doctor

DR HASAN :

Cause needs to be investigated as i said because the blood sugar lervels you are having at not that high to affect blood pressure problem so not seems to be related

DR HASAN :

If you get better with drinking water and eating then we can label it with dehydration

DR HASAN :

but if not then an EKG will be required to rule out heart related problems

Customer :

so low bp can be from dehydration

DR HASAN :

Yes it can be

DR HASAN :

But in that case pulse should be high and your ones is low so thats why i thought of getting heart related problems investigated

DR HASAN :

your thoughts?

DR HASAN :

Do you want to ask anything else?

Customer :

well I guess all I can do right now is eat and drink and see if I get better

Customer :

If I dont get better throughout the day what would you recommend

DR HASAN :

i would recommend to go to ER to get yourself examined and investigated

DR HASAN :

And i would recommend an earlier visit

Customer :

ok

DR HASAN :

Do you want to ask anything else?

DR HASAN :

Please click ACCEPT if you think that i have tried to help you

DR HASAN :

you there?

Customer :

yes Im sorry

DR HASAN :

please feel free to ask anything, i will be glad to assist you

DR HASAN :

or click ACCEPT if we are done

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck and good health

Customer :

I was trying to think of anything else there might be

DR HASAN :

ok please let me know, i am waiting for you

Customer :

do you think that its probably not my blood sugar or not sure

DR HASAN :

i am sure that its not your blood sugar

Customer :

ok

Customer :

if I need to ask something later related to my current problem will you be available? Or will I have to pay an additional fee?

DR HASAN :

yes i will be available but after clicking accept you can still ask question on the same page

DR HASAN :

donot lauch a separate question for that

DR HASAN :

you can click the same link and ask your question

Customer :

ok thank you

DR HASAN :

i will be notified and i will reply

DR HASAN :

you are most welcome

DR HASAN :

get well soon

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just took my bp again and its at 118/58. I have been drinking water and havent eaten a lot, part of a bowl of soup. So should I go to the hospital or just eat more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thats good, if the things are going fine and you are feeling that you are getting better than you can observe that how things are going. Upper one is ok and lower one needs to be around 80 but its better than before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still feel the same as before so im not sure what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you are still having the symptoms then i think you should go. Because these symptoms should not be there if the BP has removed but if they are here then you should go.

Good Luck