Dr.K.S.Dastoor
Dr.K.S.Dastoor, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. D.N.B. Gen Surg, FIAGES
26103933

I have had tremendous muscle spasms and pain in my right arm,

I have had tremendous muscle spasms and pain in my right arm, shoulder, pectoral, shoulder blade and up in my neck since mid-August. I also have numbness in my right hand. I have seen a neurologist and did an emg showing there are no pinched nerves. I have also seen an orthopedic, rhumotologist and vascular surgeon. I was finally diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet, until I got the MRI back this week and there is no compression. I am at a loss of what is causing so much pain! I have been on vicodin for three months now. The knots and muscles get soo stiff and hard you can actually see the difference between my right and left sides. Help!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.K.S.Dastoor replied 3 years ago.
What kind of work do you do?Do you use your arms/hands a lot?
Do you sit in a particular posture every day at lengths of time?
What did the MRI say and of which part was it done?
Other than pain,numbness any other symptoms like tingling etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am in sales and management. I do sit at a desk a lot, but travel as well. I also have to little ones I pick up a lot. I had the MRI done on my neck to check my C4/C5 and showed no herrniating or degeneration. Last week they did my right shoulder and neck both with and without contrast. It should no abnormalities or compression.

Yes, my hand will go numb, then tingle. I was originally just told I have carpul tunnel and tennis elbow, but the pain and knots go all the way up to the base of my skull on my right side. I get burning sensations in my shoulder blade and in my deltoid area. PT, when they get and release the knots is the only real relief I get (besides the pain killers).
The most common cause of the kind of pain that you have described is nerve compression.However,you have been cleared of that.Another cause could be spondylosis that can be in the early stages thats why its not showing on the MRI.
On a more general note,muscles go into spasm when the blood supply is cut off or decreased.This causes the muscles to contract more.Then more pain ensues.If the muscles are not prepared for this action and are used suddenly,the blood supply is cut off.This can occur in many ways while you're doing simple tasks like working on the computer,lifting heavy objects,even your kids,sudden exercise without adequate warm ups,or keeping your arms in a certain position for long periods.If you have been cleared of compression,then you might consider the other option.
Massage and physiotherapy will help a lot.Also you need to keep yourself well hydrated esp with sports drinks because electrolyte deficiency causes muscle exhaustion.Most of all,you have to rest your arms.Keep them elevated several times a day.Massaging with ice will help too.If you dont rest your arms you may end up with a frozen shoulder.Your spasm is generating from your cervical region.I would be careful about spondylosis in such a scenario.I also think that i would asked you for a follow up Scan after 3 months.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about heat on the muscles?
Do you mean application of heat on the muscles?Heat may be used as part of the PT and is often used for spasm relief.It increases the blood supply to that area.But never apply hot packs directly n the skin and esp if you're numb in that area.You will end up burning yourself.Ice is safer that way esp in acute spasms.Soaking in a hot tub may help as long as the water is comfortable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do we test for spondolysis?
Usually for cervical spondylosis and xray cspine is sufficient.You can however,get an MRI too.If your current MRI is not showing any disc prolapse,you can wait for a a few months and repeat it again.
Dr.K.S.Dastoor, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. D.N.B. Gen Surg, FIAGES
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help
You are most welcome.Hope you get some relief soon.