911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have burning feet, but also have foot odor which is sweet

I have burning feet, but also have foot odor which is sweet smelling. My shoes do not smell nor do my socks or pantyhose nor my feet. However, when I sit at my desk, there is a hot sweet smell from my shoes/boots.

911DOC :

911DOC :

Do you have diabetes?

911DOC :

Have you had a checkup recently?

911DOC :

The foot burning makes me suspicious that you may have a neuropathy, nerve damage from, usually, diabetes... the sweet smell might also indicate a problem with diabetes...

911DOC :

Can you tell me the last time you have had a checkup and labs done?

911DOC :

Also, can you tell me any medical problems you may have?

911DOC :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I do not have diabetes nor any medical condition that I have been diagnosed with. However, I have a bladder condition that is NOT an infection or urinary tract infection.

911DOC :

And what is that condition?

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I do have the name of it but it is at home and I am at work. I have had many exams, anitbiotics, etc.etc. My daughter was beginning with the same problem and her specialists knew immediately what it was. The trigger has been aspertame which I have stopped ingesting in all forms and it is better, but the information that I have is that it will never totally clear.

911DOC :

interstitial nephritis?

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I do not remember the name at the moment. The symptoms are VERY frequent urination, (10 to 20 min. apart), severe cramping of the bladder.

911DOC :

bladder dystonia i bet... but we were talking about your feet...

911DOC :

i'm afraid that the best way to get to the bottom of this is to see a neurologist about your feet... it sounds like you do have peripheral neuropathy.... ]

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

You are correct. Could that have anything to do with my foot condition? It seems to me that the problem with my feet started about the same time, quite a few years ago but is getting worse.

911DOC :

here is a helpful link...

911DOC :

no, not related...

911DOC :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

911DOC :

he question is... is it peripheral neuropathy, and if so, why do you have it... the odor is a bit of a puzzler to me i'm afraid....

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

When I say that my feet burn, I neglect to say that the burning sensation goes up my legs also.

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I am in very healthy condition otherwise, no medication of any kind.

911DOC :

still the same answer... peripheral neuropathy is number one two and three on teh list...

911DOC :

it can happen to healthy people... called idiopathic neuropathy...

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

Well, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not know what else I can do. It isn't life threatening so most times I ignore it. So the question that I do have for you. How, if at all, serious can or is this?

911DOC :

it's not serious... it's bothersome... and a search for it's cause is needed. i suggest starting with your physician... he may refer you to a neurologist... also, there are good medicines to drop the burning down and make things feel normal...

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX no other questions unless you have other suggestions.

911DOC :

no ma'am... be well and come back anytime... thanks for your business.