911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615
Medical

I have burning feet, but also have foot odor which is sweet

smelling. My shoes do... Show More
smelling. My shoes do not smell nor do my socks or pantyhose nor my feet. However, when I sit at my desk, there is a hot sweet smell from my shoes/boots.

911DOC :

911DOC :

Do you have diabetes?

911DOC :

Have you had a checkup recently?

911DOC :

The foot burning makes me suspicious that you may have a neuropathy, nerve damage from, usually, diabetes... the sweet smell might also indicate a problem with diabetes...

911DOC :

Can you tell me the last time you have had a checkup and labs done?

911DOC :

Also, can you tell me any medical problems you may have?

911DOC :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I do not have diabetes nor any medical condition that I have been diagnosed with. However, I have a bladder condition that is NOT an infection or urinary tract infection.

911DOC :

And what is that condition?

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I do have the name of it but it is at home and I am at work. I have had many exams, anitbiotics, etc.etc. My daughter was beginning with the same problem and her specialists knew immediately what it was. The trigger has been aspertame which I have stopped ingesting in all forms and it is better, but the information that I have is that it will never totally clear.

911DOC :

interstitial nephritis?

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I do not remember the name at the moment. The symptoms are VERY frequent urination, (10 to 20 min. apart), severe cramping of the bladder.

911DOC :

bladder dystonia i bet... but we were talking about your feet...

911DOC :

i'm afraid that the best way to get to the bottom of this is to see a neurologist about your feet... it sounds like you do have peripheral neuropathy.... ]

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

You are correct. Could that have anything to do with my foot condition? It seems to me that the problem with my feet started about the same time, quite a few years ago but is getting worse.

911DOC :

here is a helpful link...

911DOC :

no, not related...

911DOC :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

911DOC :

he question is... is it peripheral neuropathy, and if so, why do you have it... the odor is a bit of a puzzler to me i'm afraid....

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

When I say that my feet burn, I neglect to say that the burning sensation goes up my legs also.

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

I am in very healthy condition otherwise, no medication of any kind.

911DOC :

still the same answer... peripheral neuropathy is number one two and three on teh list...

911DOC :

it can happen to healthy people... called idiopathic neuropathy...

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

Well, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not know what else I can do. It isn't life threatening so most times I ignore it. So the question that I do have for you. How, if at all, serious can or is this?

911DOC :

it's not serious... it's bothersome... and a search for it's cause is needed. i suggest starting with your physician... he may refer you to a neurologist... also, there are good medicines to drop the burning down and make things feel normal...

JACUSTOMER-j4ha7y14- :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX no other questions unless you have other suggestions.

911DOC :

no ma'am... be well and come back anytime... thanks for your business.